Re: SB9 Lathe Cross Slide Handle Needed

mike allen

                ya have any more extra large dial's sittin on yer shelf ?

        animal

On 12/18/2019 12:38 PM, Rick Kruger wrote:
Greetings,

I am looking for a cross slide handle for a SB9" lathe, or something very similar that would fit and work.  Lathe is a 1923 era SB9 with quick change gear box, with the single lever, dog clutch box.  I do not have reference material to look up a part number.

The lathe belongs to a friend, but I helped him buy it and I assisted on an earlier repair of the carriage feed gearing.  I just completed repairing the cross slide screw, which broke.  In the doing, I converted it to large dial (100 grad.) using a large dial assembly I had taking up space on my shelves from long ago when I had a SB9A in much need of repair.  I installed two sets of thrust bearings and a deep groove ball bearing.  No backlash in this assembly. The handle that has gone missing is shown.
https://vimeo.com/378442413
https://vimeo.com/378719550

So, my friend and I live 2000 miles apart.  He shipped his saddle and CS with all the parts to me, sans the CS nut.  I did the repairs and just shipped it all back to him, using his packing materials.  Priority Mail.  He received it today.  The box had come open during shipment and the handle is now missing.  He is going to try the compound handle to see if that is an interim fix.  Even so, that handle will have to be replaced.

My guess is a handle from a different model of SB lathe, even larger or smaller, may work.  Through hole is 1/4" ID with a 1/8" keyway with a round key/pin.  I'll work out any key/pin issues.

Thanks,

Rick