Steve Yasgur

Cheri says, “ Good JOB!”

S.

Stevan S. Yasgur
Suite 550
3300 Edinborough Way
Edina, MN. 55435
(952) 893-9393

NOTICE: This E-mail (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§ 2510-2521, is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Please reply to the sender that you have received the message in error, then delete it. This email is not, nor shall it be deemed to be, legal advice or counsel, unless the recipient already has an attorney-client relationship with the firm or me. This email does not create an attorney-client relationship.
Thank you.

On Dec 18, 2019, at 2:38 PM, Rick Kruger <krugerr@...> wrote:

Greetings,

I am looking for a cross slide handle for a SB9" lathe, or something very similar that would fit and work.  Lathe is a 1923 era SB9 with quick change gear box, with the single lever, dog clutch box.  I do not have reference material to look up a part number.

The lathe belongs to a friend, but I helped him buy it and I assisted on an earlier repair of the carriage feed gearing.  I just completed repairing the cross slide screw, which broke.  In the doing, I converted it to large dial (100 grad.) using a large dial assembly I had taking up space on my shelves from long ago when I had a SB9A in much need of repair.  I installed two sets of thrust bearings and a deep groove ball bearing.  No backlash in this assembly. The handle that has gone missing is shown.
https://vimeo.com/378442413
https://vimeo.com/378719550

So, my friend and I live 2000 miles apart.  He shipped his saddle and CS with all the parts to me, sans the CS nut.  I did the repairs and just shipped it all back to him, using his packing materials.  Priority Mail.  He received it today.  The box had come open during shipment and the handle is now missing.  He is going to try the compound handle to see if that is an interim fix.  Even so, that handle will have to be replaced.

My guess is a handle from a different model of SB lathe, even larger or smaller, may work.  Through hole is 1/4" ID with a 1/8" keyway with a round key/pin.  I'll work out any key/pin issues.

Thanks,

Rick <CS Handle 12-18-19.jpg>