Re: Fooling Around in the Shop

Jim Croyle

That looks great. What did you use for the finish?

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 5:51 AM John <reproturn@...> wrote:

Really excellent – I am envious!

Cheers

John B

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> On Behalf Of wlw19958
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 10:35 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Fooling Around in the Shop

Hi There,

Thanks for the compliments!  I use a scissors type knurling tool.
The "secret" is to use plenty of oil.  I mean, Plenty!  I Have a pistol
type pump oil gun and I am squirting oil over the knurling wheels
all the time I'm knurling to flush away the chips that come off.  I also
reverse the spindle rotation now and then too.

The latest task was to make a copy of the knurled thumb screws for
a steady rest.

The lower one is the original and the upper one is my copy.  Mine was
made from 1144 Stressproof steel.  I started with 1/2" rod and the finished
product comes out .497" in diameter.  The original is slightly larger (measures
.520").  The pitch and angle of the knurls look right (mine being new, has
sharper diamonds).

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb