Re: Fooling Around in the Shop

Steven Schlegel

Thanks for the info.  I am looking forward to trying it.


Sent from Mail for Windows 10


From: <> on behalf of George Meinschein <bustedguns@...>
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 8:14:15 AM
To: <>
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Fooling Around in the Shop


I haven't knurled anything for years and haven't thought that much about the topic for about the same time.  The recent conversations triggered me to do a little online research into knurling techniques and I found the attached.  The pitch diameter & depth of knurl info might help you in getting to a finished product with a really nice appearance.

George H. Meinschein, P.E.

Meinschein Engineering Consultants, LLC
150 Brittany Drive
Freehold, NJ 07728-1500
Direct Dial: 732-409-0778
Cell: 732-580-1736
Fax: 732-358-0369
On 12/10/2019 11:58 PM, John Dammeyer wrote:

How I wish I could do knurls that nice.




From: [] On Behalf Of wlw19958
Sent: December-10-19 7:48 PM
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] Fooling Around in the Shop


Hi There,

There hasn't been much posted for awhile so I thought
I would show what I've been doing. 

Over the weekend, I made the depth screw for my threading attachment.

When I got it, the screw was too big in diameter.  After a little research, I discovered
that the threading stop for the 9 inch and 10K.  I had an NOS one I bought back in the

(you can see the "too big" screw at the top of the picture).
I measured the 9 inch/10K screw and made a copy.  I made
a few cosmetic changes to the head to make it look more like
the style of the bigger one.

One of the changes was to use a 45° diamond knurls instead of the 30° ones.
(They are a little more South Bend-like). 

The other thing I did was to make a replacement oil tube for the one that was
broken off in the reversing gear tumbler.  I measured the one in the reversing
tumbler I borrowed from another lathe and bought some heavy walled (.065")
260 brass tubing.  I already had a 5/16 x 32 tpi die. to thread it.  I drilled the
other end out to 1/4" so I could drive a Gits oiler into it. 

I also repaired the broken gear bearing journal.  I took some pics with my cell phone
but they didn't come out good but I do have one of the completed journal assembly.

Originally, the threaded end had broken off so I cut the nub off just at the undercut
behind the threads, drilled and tapped it, threaded in a new section (using 1144
steel).  Then I drilled and cross-pinned the insert so it won't come out.

(If you look careful, you can make out the outline of the pin). 

Now I have the original reversing tumbler assembly back in my lathe (and it runs
quieter than the other one)!

So, my lathe may not be the "prettiest" lathe, but it pleases me.  Thanks for letting
me share my small activities.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-

Join to automatically receive all group messages.