Re: L00 Heavy 10 Toolroom for Sale

david pennington

Love Heinlein!

When it comes to this lathe, I'm reminded of Goethe: "A man's reach should exceed his grasp."

Dave

David W. Pennington
Denver, Colorado
815-382-1994

On Wednesday, December 4, 2019, 12:59:46 PM MST, Bill in OKC too via Groups.Io <wmrmeyers@...> wrote:

Wish I could be in the market, but I couldn't afford a $150 Atlas/Craftsman 12" lathe in Colorado on one of my other groups today.

Wish you good luck finding it a good home!

Bill in OKC

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Wednesday, December 4, 2019, 1:53:57 PM CST, John Fischer <n2nu@...> wrote:

All

Speaking of L00

I have a 1972 Heavy 10 3 ½ foot bed toolroom lathe that I would like to find a new loving owner for.  I got it from my employer when they went out of business and it has been sitting – I feel guilty when I walk by that it is not in use.

Catalog is CLK8187, it has flame hardened ways, L00 spindle, taper attachment(standard on toolroom) and 3 phase motor.  I have not fired it up in a little while, but it was all working when I got it from my company – I used it for light machine work and it originally came out of a college shop.  Condition is very nice with original finish.  I have some goodies to go with it, Aloris AXA toolpost and some holders, I can probably come up with a chuck or two.  I have some 5C collets and a closer for a threaded spindle machine, so it needs a longer piece machined to work with the L00.  I meant to do this right at the time the company shut down abruptly.  Probably a few other things as well, I need to take some pictures and take stock of everything.

I am located in central NJ.  If you contact me off list, I would be happy to send pictures and talk to you more about it.  I have not listed this machine anywhere, I am coming to this group first

Regards

John

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io [mailto:SouthBendLathe@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill in OKC too via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2019 5:23 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Heavy Ten conversion to L00

Looks much better than mine!

I probably have room for it and my other two lathes, the shaper, and a bunch of other stuff, but I also have too much stuff for the space I'm trying to fit it into. :)

Ten pounds of crap in a 5# bag, so to speak. I do hope it looks as good as yours, and functions well when I'm done. I've wanted a South Bend lathe since my senior year of high school. Had it a bit over a year, but hit some snags in working on it. Trying to get those mostly ironed out this next week or so.

It spent some time in a leaky barn before my friend decided he wasn't going to have time to fix it and everything else he's working on. The current SB equivalent lists for $10k. I got it for less than a tenth of that, and some sweat equity. The tailstock, saddle, and two 5c collet holders have been derusted. Need some citristrip, painting, and reassembly, and a good temp & humidity-controlled storage while I deal with the bed, two gearboxes, headstock, taper attachment, and the separate turret tailstock. 

Yes. I have been known to bite off more than I can chew..😁

Bill in OKC

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Saturday, November 30, 2019, 03:52:32 PM CST, wlw19958 <wlw-19958@...> wrote:

Hi There,

As promised, here are a couple of pics of my disreputable lathe.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Join SouthBendLathe@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.