Re: Heavy Ten conversion to L00

Bill in OKC too

I've been machining since 1973, with some gaps. Like 35 years, gap. But I'm pretty sure ONE TIME having a chuck spin off would be quite enough. ;)

I'm sort of planning, i.e., lightly thinking about, modifying my existing chucks to have lock screws at 120 degree angles from one another to lock the screw-on chucks in place. I'll need something to let me both angle and drill and index, which so far my shop lacks.

If I were to change a spindle, I think I'd go for the D-series spindle, just because such chucks are easy to find now. Though, if like the OP, I already had chucks of the long-taper type, it would make sense to go there.

YMMV, as they say.

Bill in OKC

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Thursday, November 28, 2019, 6:09:14 AM CST, Guenther Paul <paulguenter@...> wrote:

Why would one  waist all the this time to convert. I bean in machining over 50 years never had a chuck come of in reverse. Yes i machined in reverse many times never had a problem. The chuck was installed properly. 

GP

On Thursday, November 28, 2019, 1:27:31 AM EST, Steven H via Groups.Io <stevesmachining@...> wrote:

Suggest you google ‘L00 lathe spindle nose’ and you will find chart with dimensions and a cross section. The chuck fits onto a male taper, is driven by a key, and there is a locking ring that gets secured on the back of the chuck with a spanner wrench. I think it allows the spindle to be run in reverse without fear of a chuck or faceplate coming loose as is the case with a plain threaded spindle nose.

Steve Haskell

On Nov 28, 2019, at 12:59 AM, John Dammeyer <johnd@...> wrote:

Could I perhaps ask a really dumb question.

I've got a South Bend Heavy 10L lathe.  Spindle is threaded for the chucks and faceplate.

What's an L00 and why convert?

Thanks

John

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io [mailto:SouthBendLathe@groups.io] On Behalf Of david.french@...
Sent: November-27-19 8:48 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Heavy Ten conversion to L00

Hi Webb,

Let us know how it turned out!

Dave

Join SouthBendLathe@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.