Re: Heavy Ten conversion to L00

Guenther Paul

I never had a chuck come loose if they are seated properly. You are just wasting your energy. Its your lathe and if you like to install a more sure to you
Chuck fastening system go for it. You will also loose some bed working lenght.

GP

On Thursday, November 28, 2019, 10:24:44 AM EST, wlw19958 <wlw-19958@...> wrote:

Hi There,

Despite anecdotal tales to the contrary, threaded chucks do
come loose.  This is especially true if one has an instant
reversing motor.

To reiterate, for the third time, all my other working lathes have
L00 spindles.  Rather than buying more chucks, I decided to
convert this Heavy Ten over to L00 for uniformity.  Also, this
particular Heavy Ten is a 10R (with the 1-7/8" spindle) and
there is something wrong with the threaded end of the spindle.
Tooling doesn't want to thread on.  Also, the smaller 1-7/8"
spindle cannot take 5C collets. They used the smaller 2A
collets (max size 11/16").  The L00 has the larger spindle
through hole and can accept 5C collets (hence 10L).

If you are happy with your threaded spindle, by all means
keep using them.  I've owned over a dozen lathes in my
life and most had threaded spindles.  After using the L00
spindle for the last 20 years, I have a preference for them.
Remember, I'm doing this to please me and I don't care if
you don't agree.  You be happy with your threaded spindle
and I'll be happy with my L00.  That's all that matters.

I do thank Dave for going to the trouble of making the measurement
and taking pictures so that my conversion went as smoothly
as it did.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb