Re: Heavy Ten conversion to L00

John Dammeyer

Thanks for the link Steve.  I've seen those drawings before.  But I don't understand why the photos show that hook that pivots.  If the L00 just has a nut that is turned onto the threaded part of the chuck to pull the chuck tightly onto the taper, what's the hook for?

John

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io [mailto:SouthBendLathe@groups.io] On Behalf Of Steven H via Groups.Io
Sent: November-27-19 10:27 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Heavy Ten conversion to L00

Suggest you google ‘L00 lathe spindle nose’ and you will find chart with dimensions and a cross section. The chuck fits onto a male taper, is driven by a key, and there is a locking ring that gets secured on the back of the chuck with a spanner wrench. I think it allows the spindle to be run in reverse without fear of a chuck or faceplate coming loose as is the case with a plain threaded spindle nose.

Steve Haskell

On Nov 28, 2019, at 12:59 AM, John Dammeyer <johnd@...> wrote:

Could I perhaps ask a really dumb question.

I've got a South Bend Heavy 10L lathe.  Spindle is threaded for the chucks and faceplate.

What's an L00 and why convert?

Thanks

John