Re: Dropped my Tailstock - mystery piece came out

Carl Bukowsky

My guess based on the shape, it was inside the taper of the quill, shortening the length of the taper.  So that when the tailstock quill fully retracts the tool inserted in the quill will release.

Sent by my iPhone

On Nov 9, 2019, at 5:30 AM, Des via Groups.Io <desbromilow@...> wrote:

Feel like an idiot, was moving the tailstock of a SB13B holding it by the rear handle and the barrel/chuck when the chuck taper suddenly released and it all hit the floor.
I know pieces went on the floor, and I found some. A corner of the clamping pad was broken off, and a mystery piece was found on the floor. It doesn't appear in any of the parts lists or videos I've looked at.
Basically it's brass or bronze, about 5/8" diameter, about the same length, and a small shallow dimple in one end. There was a small piece of curved felt nearby.
Anyone know where it came from?

Thanks,<SB13_TS_mysteryLR.jpg>

FWIW, I know there is still another piece of something hiding in the shed, I heard it ping away under the bench, but everything appears to be present and working, so I will go over it with a fine tooth comb, but this piece has me confused.

Des in Oz