Re: 9" Taper attachment plans

Steven H

Looking at the article, the author calls it the “Cross-Feed Tailpiece” in the Bill of Materials on Page 50 of the article. This is Detail 8. Then in the upper LH corner of Page 52, the drawing for Detail 8 is shown and the detail is called the “Cross-Slide Tailpiece”. So an error in editing. Drawing calls for a piece of cold rolled steel, 1/4” x 3-1/8” x 10-1/2”. I think I would use 3” wide material myself.

Steve Haskell

On Nov 4, 2019, at 6:31 PM, StevesMachining <stevesmachining@...> wrote:

I assume by the name it is the detail that gets bolted on the rear end of the upper cross slide (that would be the piece that the compound sits on)- the cross-slide tailpiece has a long slot down the center of it.

Steve Haskell

On Nov 4, 2019, at 5:37 PM, Chuck Lippmeier <chuck@...> wrote:

Group,

I bought the eBay post for the “Home Shop Machinist” 2004 Jan/Feb. edition. As I read, it refers to a “Cross-feed tailpiece” What is a “cross-slide tailpiece”?

Chuck Lippmeier

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io [mailto:SouthBendLathe@groups.io] On Behalf Of mike allen
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2019 9:22 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] 9" Taper attachment plans

        Steve , I ended up with a copy from another member , but thank you very much

        animal

On 10/30/2019 9:57 AM, Steven H via Groups.Io wrote:

Mike,

I checked my collection of HSM and happen to have the Jan/Feb 2004 issue with this taper attachment article. I don’t want to give away or sell my issue but can make copies of the pages and mail them to you. If interested, send your mailing address to me at stevesmachining@...

Steve Haskell

On Oct 30, 2019, at 11:09 AM, George Meinschein <bustedguns@...> wrote:

A quick Google search turned up the attached article from the January 1962 issue of Popular Mechanics.  Maybe that will work for you.

Thanks,
George H. Meinschein, P.E.

Meinschein Engineering Consultants, LLC
150 Brittany Drive
Freehold, NJ 07728-1500
Direct Dial: 732-409-0778
Cell: 732-580-1736
Fax: 732-358-0369
www.meinscheinengineering.com

On 10/29/2019 6:36 PM, Steven H via Groups.Io wrote:

There is a HSM Jan/Feb 2004 issue on eBay for $9.99 plus $4 shipping.

Steve Haskell

On Oct 29, 2019, at 5:22 PM, mike allen <animal@...> wrote:

        I just checked the back order site at HSM lookin for he Jan/Feb 2004 issue with plans for a taper attachment for the 9 " lathe . they don't go back that far. does anyone here have a copy that they might send me ?

        tks

        animal@...

<Taper attachment plans-Jan 62 Popular Mechanics.pdf>