Re: Patent for 'Face Plate Locking Means'

Ondrej Krejci

Somebody at South Bend Lathe was bored and decided to take out a roller ratchet patent for keeping threaded attachments on spindles in case of sudden braking or reversing not for cutting with the spindles running in reverse, that requires positive locking.

OK

On Friday, October 25, 2019, 11:09:55 AM EDT, john kling via Groups.Io <jkling222@...> wrote:

I have an old (now unused) Goodell Pratt lathe that holds the threaded adjustment ring in position on the spindle with a set screw that does not go all the way through the end/adjustment ring. I note that this lathe like many of the South Bends has no babbit, brons, ball or taper spindle bearings just the cast iron in the head stock.

On Friday, October 25, 2019, 10:56:18 AM EDT, Scott Highton <scott@...> wrote:

Just curious on your perspectives here…  what’s the difference between this patent and the more simple installation of a set screw (or a double set screw) to hold the plate / chuck onto the spindle?

Scott