Re: Acquiring Tooling for a Lathe

Jim_B

Start by reading “How to Run a Lathe”. Copies are available in the files section of this group.

Many of your questions will be answered there.

-8
Jim B,

On Oct 25, 2019, at 10:27 AM, Joel Turner <jturner421@...> wrote:

Let me start by saying that I am absolutely new to metalworking but I have been doing a quite a bit of reading lately on the subject. I have enough reference material on how to run a lathe but little information on identifying what used tooling will fit or can be adapted to my lathe

With that background I recently purchased a 1946 SB 9A lathe catalog# 744 that had no tooling other than a 3 jaw chuck, a Jacobs chuck, a collection of HSS cutters, and one tool holder. I'd like to begin purchasing some tooling and I'm wondering how you identify the proper size of tools that you might find at a live auction.  Do chucks, live and dead centers typically have markings on them that indicate thread count or taper size? Are tool holders for lantern style universal or are they machine specific? Can steady and follow rests from another manufacturer fit on a SouthBend and if so, how do you determine that?

Appreciate any advice or references to websites that have this type of information.

Thanks,

Joel

--
Jim B