1940 Popular Science

bclong7@...

I was looking at the Google archive of Popular Science Magazine today, and in the September, 1940 issue I found an article titled "The Home Workshop".  And on the first page of the article is a man happily un-crating his brand new South Bend Lathe!  I happened to notice a 5 digit number (either 97443 or 97993) handwritten on the side of the crate.  Sure enough, according to Steve Wells' database, that is a valid serial number for a new 1940 lathe.  One wonders if that is a self portrait - and if it indeed shows a real shipping crate for a 1940 lathe....

Bernie

https://www.avg.com