From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io [mailto:SouthBendLathe@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim_B
Sent: September-23-19 9:40 AM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Reverse operation with 10k screw spindle

If your work is less than 1/2” in diameter use a 3C collet, or 5/8" with a 6K collet.

I have also seen small chucks mounted to a collet or Morse taper.

I used to have a couple.

Sent from my MacBook

Jim B.

On Sep 23, 2019, at 12:32 PM, m. allan noah <kitno455@...> wrote:

I run threaded chucks in reverse quite often. Never had one come off.
But, I do avoid interrupted cuts.

allan

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 12:25 PM <dfuller440@...> wrote:

Hi,
Got a question about my 10k SB lathe with the 1-1/2" x 8 spindle.
Is there any way to -safely- run the lathe in reverse with the chuck to do a specific cutting operation?
On my old Jet 9x20, the chuck had a safety screw to keep the chuck from flying off in reverse.  I don't think that my 10k lends itself to a safety screw without messing up the register.
Any suggestions or do I need to forget about reverse operation?  (BTW, motor will reverse.)
Dan

of my hand"

--
Jim B