Re: machining a tailstock base.

Ron Goodger

I am in the same boat.  I’ve been searching for a good article on this for some time.  I’ve shimmed it and gotten it close, but as was said, the shim in the front has to be thicker than the one in the back.  I’ve been debating putting adjustment screws on all four corners of the base.  That would allow the four corners to be independently adjusted, so you could compensate for any type of angle in the wear.  Getting them all adjusted correctly would probably be a time consuming PITA, though.  Making a new base seems like the best approach.  I would try to find a material that will wear better than the original.

Ron Goodger