Re: Looking to buy a handwheel for apron for Heavy 10

John Losch

To all:

I may be walking into it here, but I have to ask:  If a vertical miller is available, couldn’t the hand wheel shaft be loosely fitted into a vise with a vee block, a drill suitable to the shaft hole, held in the headstock, and the shaft and drill manipulated until there is a “free feel" to the drill?  Perhaps a tapered reamer could be “jiggled” to assure alignments afterward.  This might be as sensitive as trying to fit a level in Jim’s procedure.  I would proceed as Jim has suggested, using super glue, spotting center, and drilling very cautiously.  Not as easily, I suspect the same thing could be done with an horizontal miller.  (Lucky me:  I have both.)

I am probably missing some important point, so have at it.  I am not sensitive to being corrected.

Jcl

On Jul 8, 2019, at 7:07 PM, Guenther Paul <paulguenter@...> wrote:

Jim you don't have to post pictures for me but it may be help full to others

GP

On Monday, July 8, 2019, 12:21:24 PM EDT, Jim_B <jim@...> wrote:

Yes you can find similar hand wheels at Both McMasters and MSC.
They will work but need to be fitted to the Heavy 10 shaft.
Now a word of caution. SB did not take grate pains when installing taper pins. They are not necessarily on center or perpendicular to the shaft and no two are the same.

I have been able to match new wheels to old shafts by holding the old shaft in a collet or chuck. Setting my shop made cross drilling attachment to match the angle and offset and then drilling through the new collar.

If you want I can post a how-to

Sent from my MacBook
Jim B.

On Jul 8, 2019, at 11:01 AM, Guenther Paul <paulguenter@...> wrote:

Jim
If you cant find a used hand wheel you can get one a McMaster Carr  you may have to do some machining on it

GP

On Monday, July 8, 2019, 10:09:18 AM EDT, Jim_B <jim@...> wrote:

Try Ted

-8
Jim B,

On Jul 8, 2019, at 9:19 AM, vinnito1 via Groups.Io <vinnito1@...> wrote:

I recently purchased a 1941 10L that has a damaged handwheel on the apron. Does anyone have a spare that they would be willing to sell to me.

--
Jim B

--
Jim B