Re: Precision level needed or not?

glenn brooks <brooks.glenn@...>

What I learned from my old worn out big iron Standard Modern 12” lathe, was that there are really two kinds of bed twist: most common on heavily used, old machines is bed wear - and related machine wear. The other thing is simply uneven flooring, causing the bed casting to sag and twist out of shape over time.

If your machine exhibits signs of wear from its decades of life, all the parts will be worn in concert with each other - underneath the tail stock, cross slide, bearings, lead screws and of course the ways - likely having the most wear just outside where the chuck sits.

So the challenge is to straighten the ways to counteract a possible sloping floor, and then, twist the bed to counteract all the wear - eventually finding the sweet spot that most resembles the original true surface of the ways.

That’s the main reason I like to use a level (and a straight edge). It’s fairly easy to assess various amounts of twist in the different segments of the bed with a level. Hard to do with other methods...

Glenn

On Jun 15, 2019, at 3:38 PM, Jim_B <jim@...> wrote:

When setting up a lathe to remove twisting you do not EVER use a tailstock.
Please read “Rollies Dads Method”

Sent from my MacBook
Jim B.

On Jun 15, 2019, at 1:32 PM, eddie.draper@... via Groups.Io <eddie.draper@...> wrote:

Yes, it is possible to determine whether measurement differences between ends of an alignment bar are due to tailstock offset or bed twist.  Betwen centres:  Tailstock offset.  Held in chuck or otherwise directly coupled to the headstock mandrel:  Bed twist.

Mostly!

Eddie

On Saturday, 15 June 2019, 03:13:48 BST, Steven H via Groups.Io <stevesmachining@...> wrote:

Another fellow earlier today said no, an alignment bar between centers won’t do for determining bed twist. Would just be useful for tailstock alignment. A check of eBay shows precision machinists levels starting at less than $30, but “you usually get what you pay for”.

Steve Haskell

--
Jim B