Re: Precision level needed or not?

Jim_B

When setting up a lathe to remove twisting you do not EVER use a tailstock.
Please read “Rollies Dads Method”

Sent from my MacBook
Jim B.

On Jun 15, 2019, at 1:32 PM, eddie.draper@... via Groups.Io <eddie.draper@...> wrote:

Yes, it is possible to determine whether measurement differences between ends of an alignment bar are due to tailstock offset or bed twist.  Betwen centres:  Tailstock offset.  Held in chuck or otherwise directly coupled to the headstock mandrel:  Bed twist.

Mostly!

Eddie

On Saturday, 15 June 2019, 03:13:48 BST, Steven H via Groups.Io <stevesmachining@...> wrote:

Another fellow earlier today said no, an alignment bar between centers won’t do for determining bed twist. Would just be useful for tailstock alignment. A check of eBay shows precision machinists levels starting at less than $30, but “you usually get what you pay for”.

Steve Haskell

--
Jim B