Re: 9 Inch Model A Headstock Upgrade

mike allen

        what kind of a A model is yer lathe ,that it came with that type of reverse tumbler ?

        animal

On 6/11/2019 8:14 PM, comstock_friend wrote:

Had a problem with my 9 Inch Model A, CL644A (4-2-1956) with the sixteen speed V-belt pulleys. After I cleaned and painted her up I bought a linked belt instead of the standard continuous V-belt. When changing speeds it was very difficult to get the belt on the lowest speed sheave (the belt was thicker than the space under the rim of the sheave). I just did an upgrade to the quick change forward/reverse lever and got a new headstock casting. As an added benefit the casting base is only 1.5 inch thick compared to the original’s 2 inch. Photos show a comparison of the two castings and the belt on the low speed sheave showing plenty of room under the sheave. Maybe South Bend noted that it was tight with the other casting.

John