Re: Precision level needed or not?

George Meinschein

Gentlemen,
Thanks for the responses!  I have a cheapo Craftsman digital level with 0.1 degree resolution and a not so cheap Leica Disto D8 that measures angles with 0.05 degree resolution. I checked the specs on a Starrett precision level and found that the graduations in the vial are separated by roughly 0.025 degrees.  The spec is actually 80-90 seconds. Then, I thought - suppose I took my plumb bob and hung it from something oh about 5' high and attached to a parallel that sits across the ways. Unless I botched my quick calculations, a 1/64" movement of the plumb bob would represent about 0.015 degrees.  Time to do a little testing!  This is on the back burner right now, but I'll report back with results on my zero cost precision level when the project moves forward.

Thanks,
George H. Meinschein, P.E.

Meinschein Engineering Consultants, LLC
150 Brittany Drive