Re: Need help internal threading 13" SB lathe 1 7/8" spindle

david pennington

One more thing I've run into using my own lathe: it will only cut a true straight thread if it doesn't cut a taper on a straight cut.

-------- Original message --------
From: Jim_B <jim@...>
Date: 1/27/19 08:27 (GMT-07:00)
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Need help internal threading 13" SB lathe 1 7/8" spindle

One point I forget.
When your test fitting starts to fit well but still binds, take, what should be your last one or two passes, by feeding out, COUNTERCLOCKWISE, on the cross feed. Note that if you need more than one pass you will not be returning to zero on the cross feed dial.
Since. In threading at 30 degrees on the compound, you only cut on one side of the tool the off side, of the thread, is jagged. Feeding at the end straight out cleans up the off side.

-8
Jim B,

--
Jim B