Re: Quiet list--what's everybody doing? and OT

gorvil

Well I'm glad somebody is making chips. I have been glued to the
TV. I want to market an invention of mine. It is a cable news
watching magician. It consists of 18 inches of electrical tape to
cover up the annoying streaming headlines at the bottom of the
screen. Only five easy payments of $19.95. Includes S&H. Any
takers?

Glen Reeser

--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, RichD <cmsteam@s...> wrote:
Glen,
I'm very busy using my SBL 9A to taper bore an 8" long x 3" dia
steel
steam locomotive stack (chimney) with the taper attachment to 2.42
degrees.
This started out in confusion over the setting scale on the ends of
the TA
as the markings clearly say "TAPER IN DEGREES" and "TAPER PER INCH".
It became obvious that something was not right after a few passes.
Checking with "How to run a lathe" turned up the most confusing
statement.
They explain that the "Swivel bar scale" is "total taper....." Huh?
Well, sure enough, it's actually marked in included angle, NOT
TAPER!
So, I'm right in my judgement.
Now, how does one measure the actual taper PRODUCED to some
reasonable precision as
the scale is rather small and not particularly calibrated?

Run the the TA to one end. Set a ~5" metal bar on the ways against
the saddle.
Place a parallel clamp on the ways against the other end of this
bar.
Set up a dial indicator/mag stand on the saddle bearing on the
toolpost to
indicate crosslide travel.
Now, remove the bar and run the saddle to the clamp-stop. Zero the
indicator.
run the saddle out 6" and place the bar against the clamp. Run the
saddle back
to touch the bar. The indicator now shows the taper offset vs bar
length.
TAN of TAPER ANGLE = OFFSET DIVIDED BY BAR LENGTH
TAN^-1 = TAPER ANGLE
or
OFFSET REQUIRED = BAR LENGTH DIVIDED BY TAN of TAPER ANGLE
A few adjustments will get you to a very close setting.
RichD

Glen Reeser wrote:

Are we going to let J.W. have the last word?

Where is everybody? The war is over. Turn off CNN.

Glen Reeser