Re: Spindle register issue

Earl White

Just a thought and It's probably way off, but if that is a scroll chuck, you might have put the wrong jaws in the wrong slots.  Each jaw is different depending on the number stamped on the jaw.  In other words the #1 jaw has to go back in the #1 slot and so on, other wise the jaws will not center at all and your work will be way off center.

Earl

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 7:44 PM, m. allan noah <kitno455@...> wrote:
So, if you turn that piece of steel on the 9A with the altered
spindle, it will run true. If you then remove and reinstall the chuck
without removing the workpiece from it, does it repeat well?

allan

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 9:46 PM, carbure2003 <guycad@...> wrote:

> I machined a piece of steel.
>
> On my 10K, it repeats within less than half a thou.
>
> Same chuck transferred on 9A with intact spindle, it repeats within 3 thou.
>
> On the 9A with altered spindle, it is off centered by 7 thou.
>
> 3 thou is acceptable, 7 is not.
>
> Guy

of my hand"