Re: ADV: Re: ADV: Re: [SouthBendLathe] StateCollage Crosslide

Flash Gordon

On 5/28/2018 1:37 PM, mike allen wrote:
that would be great ED , any new info is good info

        animal

On 5/28/2018 5:13 AM, Flash Gordon wrote:
A lot of machining. Surface the whole thing, mills the slots, drill and mill the hole for the tool holder and more. I used an a very large vertical mill at school. Took many days. There is a step by step instruction with pictures that I followed. I can look up the site if anyone is interested.

Ed S

On 5/27/2018 10:16 PM, mike allen wrote:
that's kinda what I was thinkin , I only have a Mill/Drill & I don't think I have the travel . may have to call in a favor somewhere

        animal

On 5/27/2018 7:10 PM, Jim_B wrote:
I always wanted one. I had a Burke #4 mill. It had a table travel of 9”.
You need 12 or more.
You need to mill the V groves for the ways and mill the top surface and size the bore for the top slide.
Not trivial.
Need something like a Bridgeport.

Sent from my iPhone-8
Jim B,

On May 27, 2018, at 10:00 PM, mike allen <animal@...> wrote:

         has anyone gotten 1 of the cross slide casting kits from StateCollage?  How much machining was required?

http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/S-4382.html

         tks

         animal