Re: modern motor for SB9

G Confer

I did the StateCollage crosslide about 20 years ago and do not remember much about the machining process. I do remember it took quite a bit of time. At first I was thinking I did it on my South Bend 9” but I had just retired and took a lathe course at Clark Co. Comm. College machining school and they introduced me to milling machines and I may have used theirs. I liked the milling machines and founded a Clausing 8520, bought it and may have used it to finish the cross slide.

I found it to be hard to use and since I had the Clausing did not use it too much. I have used it to mount it the tool post to the rear for parting. It was a great learning process. Gary