From: Paul Alciatore <palciatore@...>
To: SouthBendLathe <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Sent: Sat, May 26, 2018 4:39 pm
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Drive belt queston

Shortly after I got my SB9, about a decade ago, I replaced the flat belt with an automotive "serpentine" belt. That is the multi groove type that resembles a flat belt. The local auto supply was helpful in getting the correct size.

YES, you do have to disassemble the headstock and the counter shaft to install it. But that was a definite PLUS. When I took the headstock apart I discovered the decades old, felt oilers were worn down to the springs which were starting to wear grooves in the spindle. So I ordered new felt oilers and reassembled my headstock with the new belt. It runs like a charm and the new oilers, along with the new belt will probably outlast me.

So don't think that you "saved" anything by not disassembling the headstock.