Re: Stuck worm drive

eddie.draper@btinternet.com

F or C, please?  Loctite bulletins typically state 250C (482F)

Eddie

From: "J H HUDSON halbert____1@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]"
To: "SOUTHBENDLATHE@..."
Sent: Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 3:52
Subject: Re: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Stuck worm drive

If the pin was not there then the last person may have used locktite to keep the nut on, you may have to heat it to at least 350 before locktite will give.

Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 3:12 PM
Subject: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Stuck worm drive

Hi all,

First post so thanks for all the free info so far.

I've been trying to strip the apron of my 9a and can't for the life of me remove the collar holding in the worm gear, pin wasn't present and the gib is out.

It is definitely binding somewhere and I have already used as much force as I can muster with a piece of pin stock in hole as a lever, bit of heat etc.

Is it a case of breaking out the big guns and just forcing it until one of us cracks or is there a more delicate approach anyone can suggest.

The angle grinder keeps giving me this "I could have that off in 5 minutes" look :)