From: benjithestupiddog@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]
To: SOUTHBENDLATHE
Sent: Wed, Jan 17, 2018 7:34 am
Subject: Re: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Stuck worm drive

Hi Jon,

Sadly yes, I can make about 1/2 - 3/4 of a turn before it all binds up, I did also notice (but failed to mention) a couple of marks on the back end, possibly it was introduced to Mr Hammer at some point in its past, though I did clean the thread up I don't think that is the problem area.

That being said on further inspection, one of the spreader plates in the clutch is missing, the 2 nuts which hold the half nuts in are missing, paint looks like it was applied with a hammer, the half nut leaver has been broken and repaired by a very angry welder and the feed select lever does not seem to operate as smoothly as it should.

So in the scheme of things a stuck collar is a small fish in a big pond.

Regards

Adam

---In southbendlathe@..., wrote :

Are you certain the pin is not engaging the worm as well as the lock ring?