Re: Just Saying Hello

john kling

The "primitive" comment has provoked the following observation. Evolving technology does require that new skills are learned. But many old skills are no longer required. I would argue that the new practitioner frequently has less basic understanding than the older ones. The older ones possessed with this basic understanding can mjodify and adapt methods to new problems.

On Monday, January 8, 2018 12:00 AM, "xxlt250rxx@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:

I have worked at a community college as a precision machining instructor for the last 26.5 years. When I first started at the college I discovered a South Bend lathe in another career tech program on campus. The lathe was not in operation at the time and has been in storage all these years. The lathe is a 1968 9/10k with 4-jaw, 3-jaw, mica undercutter, follower rest, steady rest, and an assortment of stuff. The college was founded in 1960 and I am pretty sure the lathe was purchase new by the school. The tag on the end of the lathe headstock shows it was purchase less than 100 miles away. Recently the college took sealed bid on it and I was high bidder. I has very little wear or damage. I am trying to learn all I can about it. In all my years I have only run one other lathe as "primitive" as this one. Still getting use to flat belts, felt for oiling, no roller bearing, no ball oilers etc,.