Re: Tailstock wear adjustment

Gregg Eshelman

Where you don't want to use Turcite, Rulon or other low friction machine tool surface rebuilding stuff is on the bottom of a tailstock. Get the bottom of the tailstock straight and the top of the base straight, then build up the top of the base or bottom of the upper part, or some on both.

Moglice.com has several examples of how to use theirs and similar products. On a precision ground bed these products can be used to essentially eliminate the need to scrape. For a lathe saddle the process involves drilling and threading holes to fit brass leveling screws, or Moglice shims can be used, to adjust it for proper height and parallelism. The edges get sealed all around then liquid Moglice is injected into the spaces between bottom of saddle and top of ways. When it's set, clean up around the edges and it's done. Typically the leveling screw holes are then used for oiling, and oil channels are formed using wax strips applied to the ways.

Some of their examples show reconditioning of machinery that was originally built using Moglice to form the bearing surfaces. In those cases it's a process of removing and replacing it to restore to original condition.

I've used their putty to repair half nuts on lathes. It does a fine job, no problems with it chipping or peeling off. The 'trick' is to use the right end of the lead screw where it never gets any wear.

On Monday, January 1, 2018, 8:52:30 PM MST, Nelson Collar nel2lar@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:

Guy
Thanks for the explain, I've read about turcite and now I have a little bit of understanding
Nelson

On Monday, January 1, 2018, 10:03:47 PM EST, 'guycad@...' guycad@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:

<*>[Attachment(s) from guycad@... included below]

In the lathe rebuild process, I have to compensate for the saddle wear as well as bed wear.

In that case, bed was re ground ( flame hardened bed) saddle was down by about 0.025 in after bed re grind.

It is important to shim up the saddle so lead screw to apron alignment is maintained.

Shim materiel gave me indication on how much materiel needed to be removed on the saddle v way so I could fit 1/32 in turcite strips on the saddle

My final alignment ended up within 0.005  in of the original vertical alignment.

Turcite provides very good smoth sliding properties. E only downfall to this approach is that I had to cut custom felts for the saddle ways.

Lathe is working as a Charm