Tailstock wear adjustment

Ron Goodger

I have a Heavy 10L with a worn tail-stock.  When I disassembled it during the rebuild, I discovered someone had put a shim in it about 20 thou thick.  That brought the front end of the tailstock quill back up to the headstock axis.  I checked that with centers in both ends as shown in the first drawing.

The problem is, when I tried to bore a pulley, it reamed the hole entry larger than the back side of the pulley.  That told me the tailstock was not holding the reamer straight.  I put a dial indicator on it and verified that the tail stock quill is over 10 thou high on the back side in its two inch length.

Does anyone have experience fixing this issue?  How should it be done?

Thanks.

Ron