Three (3) W8BH Morse Tutor - ESP32 Bare Boards Available #morsecodetutor #bareboards #mct

Jim <jmcginnis_ham@...>

Greetings:
I just completed a ESP32 based build of the W8BH Rev 2B board.  I ordered five (5) boards from JLCBCP and now have three (3) boards that are spare.
The boards were not expensive. But the shipping (DHL) was the bulk of the cost. I have plans to build up the second board so that two boards can be linked up via WiFi for offline live practice with two ops.

I will ship the boards via USPS padded envelope to 48 states USA. The boards are $5.50 each or less if multiple boards are purchased.

Note that the "speaker" in the BOM cannot be driven very hard without the diaphragm becoming distorted.  The PAM8403 audio module has a lot of output.
I substituted a 2W (peak) 2.25" speaker for the attached internal speaker. It was from a local surplus vendor. The combination is good enough - without attaching an external speaker.

The software GUI is pretty slick and is an adept CW basic decoder. Very satisfying.

For your convenience, I will accept personal checks.

Jim McGinnis   KK4NA
Please use my formal information on QRZ for contacts - mailing address, etc.

Best regards/73

Jim

Richard Hattaway

Hi Jim,

I am interested in one board.  I'll gladly ship $$ to specified address :)

Dick
W4PID

On Friday, May 28, 2021, 11:22:41 AM EDT, Jim <jmcginnis_ham@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim KK4NA <jmcginnis_ham@...>

Good afternoon Dick!

I will set one aside for you. I will post it to your Salisbury address, is this correct?
A personal check made out to "Jim McGinnis" for $5.50 works just fine.
If you don't already have the LCD display, note that the parts BOM refers to one that is sent from HK or CN.
I was able to receive one in about 18 days using the author's very helpful links.

Please advise,

Jim

Richard Hattaway

Hey Jim,

Yes, 719 Emerald Bay Drive Salisbury NC 28146 is the correct address..

No I don't think I have the display.  I have two or three in the box, and one of them may be right, but I can put that together when I have it all in front of me.

I have been a CW buff for all of my ham career ( 62 years or so ) but the thing that caught my eye is the possibility of decoding CW ... HI of course I can copy it just fine.. but I have been playing with software that decodes and have not found anything that is reliable.. this little thing may be the answer HI...

Also, the teaching part of the equation is good.. I have multiple folks in our club that want to learn CW.. some are making progress.. so I can use this to spur them along ( did I think the word 'prod' then type 'spur' HI.. )

So when you mentioned you had boards, That's the way to go IMO so I can get something up and running for display to them, without wires hanging out all over the place..

Thanks so much for making the board available.  We'll talk later when the group decides how they are going to utilize it.. I will need to order several at that time and will likely follow the same path you did to get multiple units.

73

Dick
W4PID

On Friday, May 28, 2021, 5:19:38 PM EDT, Jim KK4NA <jmcginnis_ham@...> wrote:

Good afternoon Dick!

I will set one aside for you. I will post it to your Salisbury address, is this correct?
A personal check made out to "Jim McGinnis" for $5.50 works just fine.
If you don't already have the LCD display, note that the parts BOM refers to one that is sent from HK or CN.
I was able to receive one in about 18 days using the author's very helpful links.

Please advise,

Jim

Jim KK4NA <jmcginnis_ham@...>

Here is the list of people who have a board awaiting for their payment:

Dick  W4PID
Guy  WB7SZI

Bob   AK5U

Thank you all for your interest.

And Eb, I will send the information you requested very soon now. (Eb W. ZL4RM/PA0JAG)

73
Jim
KK4NA

Mark M

Not meaning to hijack Jim's thread but I have several bare boards for the STM32 version...the non-wifi version. If anyone is interested please contact me.

73...    Mark    AA7TA

Gerald Cooper

Jim, if you have a board left I would like one. If you have one, let me know and I will send you a check for $5.50.

Thanks,
73

Gerald  AG5MY

On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 11:12 AM Mark M <junquemaile@...> wrote:
Not meaning to hijack Jim's thread but I have several bare boards for the STM32 version...the non-wifi version. If anyone is interested please contact me.

73...    Mark    AA7TA

Jim KK4NA <jmcginnis_ham@...>

Gerald,

As stated above, all three boards are taken. Thank you for your interest.

I would suggest that the folks who were interested but not able to get into the first three slots for these boards get together to place an order as a group. There are more than enough people who still want the board to make an order for 5 boards from JLCPCB or ????.

Cheers/73
Jim
KK4NA

James <mtminstr@...>

Let me know who's heading up the orders.
I will take two boards if its a go and can work out the logistics with others.
Regards

James
KB9NBL

Jim KK4NA <jmcginnis_ham@...>

James,
I would start another topic to see if anyone is interested in a "group buy" of these MCT boards. You would likely get more traffic with a new topic.

73/Best regards,
Jim
KK4NA

James <mtminstr@...>

Jim,
I will have to regret till another time. I am working on getting my knee back working after surgery so my time and efforts are going in another direction.

I thought I would be able to handle another great build and find life getting a little bit harder for the moment.
I appreciate you bringing the request back to me on a round trip ticket.
You have a great day my friend

73

James