PCB versions #morsecodetutor

DK1MG@...

Hello everyone

There are two PCB versions of the MCT with an identical component arrangement.
Version 1 dated July 16, 2019 from W8TEE.
Version 2 has a 4-pin socket designated as J1 above the processor module and is identified as KI4PSR cloned by LA3FY.
Question 1: What can be connected to J1?
Question 2: Is the pin assignment of the components the same for both board versions?
Sincerely to all readers
Hans-Jochen DK1MG

jjpurdum

Hans:

Can you post the schematic of V2? My V1 did not have external connections except for the paddles and power, but perhaps we can figure it out.

Jack, W8TEE

On Thursday, March 25, 2021, 3:08:30 PM EDT, DK1MG@... <dk1mg@...> wrote:

Hello everyone

There are two PCB versions of the MCT with an identical component arrangement.
Version 1 dated July 16, 2019 from W8TEE.
Version 2 has a 4-pin socket designated as J1 above the processor module and is identified as KI4PSR cloned by LA3FY.
Question 1: What can be connected to J1?
Question 2: Is the pin assignment of the components the same for both board versions?
Sincerely to all readers
Hans-Jochen DK1MG

Jim Pruitt

Hans,  the pdf silkscreen I have for that board from K14PSR shows that as PL2 not J1 and goes to pins 29 through 32 of the STM32 module and they go to the display.

I am attaching his schematic in PDF.

Hope this helps.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY

--
Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY

Jim Pruitt

Jack I posted the schematic at the same time you asked the question about the schematic.  I am attaching here the top silkscreen that I think Hans has and is asking about if that helps.  It is a PDF.  KI4PSR added the wiring to the SD card port on V2 like the schematic shows.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY

On 3/25/2021 12:35 PM, jjpurdum via groups.io wrote:
[...]

If I had to guess, it appears that J1 is simply a power connector with IN+ probably providing 9-12V and IN- is GND. This is a guess, because the output from OUT+ and OUT- appears to go to the 5V and GND connections on the STM32.

Keep in mind this is a software guy talking!

Jack, W8TEE

On Thursday, March 25, 2021, 3:44:45 PM EDT, Jim Pruitt <jpruitt67@...> wrote:

[...]

ROBERT NORRIS AK5U

Hans,

That connector is for the SD card on the back of the display. It is marked as PL2 on other schematics.

Bob

AK5U

There are two PCB versions of the MCT with an identical component arrangement.

Version 1 dated July 16, 2019 from W8TEE.

Version 2 has a 4-pin socket designated as J1 above the processor module and is identified as KI4PSR cloned by LA3FY.

Question 1: What can be connected to J1?

Question 2: Is the pin assignment of the components the same for both board versions?

Sincerely to all readers

Hans-Jochen DK1MG

DK1MG@...

Hello Jack,
I used the file MCT-1a-CADCAMGerberX2Imperial.Zip to have the PCB made for me.

Hans-Jochen DK1MG

DK1MG@...

Hello jim
the circuit diagram is the one you sent me. The only difference I noticed is that encoder pin A and pin B are swapped.
73 Hans-Jochen DK1MG

DK1MG@...

Hello Robert,
Maybe you are right. I found a jpg file that identifies A4, A5, A6 and A7 as SD card connections. These are exactly the lines that lead to J1.
73 Hans-Jochen DK1MG

David Leckie

Hi

There are also the W8BH Rev 2A versions of the PCB dated 03 Oct 2019

73

Dave

GM4NFI

There are two PCB versions of the MCT with an identical component arrangement.

Version 1 dated July 16, 2019 from W8TEE.

Version 2 has a 4-pin socket designated as J1 above the processor module and is identified as KI4PSR cloned by LA3FY.

Question 1: What can be connected to J1?

Question 2: Is the pin assignment of the components the same for both board versions?

Sincerely to all readers

Hans-Jochen DK1MG

Brian Bowling

The bottom right corner of the schematic shows an annotation that indicates pads were added for the SD card as part of the revision.  It connects to the MOSI and SCK lines for the SPI bus.  The other two lines will be MISO and CS.  Presumably this is in case you want to add SD card capability from the display to the MCT.

Brian N8BDB

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 3:35 PM Jim Pruitt <jpruitt67@...> wrote:
[...]

I don't recognize that file. My MCT files were posted on Dec. 9, 2020. Others have taken my basic design and modified it. This might be one of those.

Jack, W8TEE

On Thursday, March 25, 2021, 5:06:37 PM EDT, DK1MG@... <dk1mg@...> wrote:

Hello Jack,
I used the file MCT-1a-CADCAMGerberX2Imperial.Zip to have the PCB made for me.

Hans-Jochen DK1MG

TA1LSX

Probably this must have been discussed many times, but I still don't understand, not only for MCT, why the all the projects remain so disorganized. Why not professionally kept on a Github type repository. For example I was looking for Gerber and Firmware for the Loop Controller, but I still haven't figured out which file was the newest and which was old for a week. Publishing on Github and pushing other people's development on it will provide a faster development environment and most importantly, all files will be accessible by users easily.

All the best,
Erhan, TA1LSX

jjpurdum

Erhan:

We stated in the book that we would place a copy of a project's Gerber and source code files (where applicable) on the SCHR site, which we did. Al maintains the Gerber files and I maintain the source code. You can easily see the posting dates on the web site. Personally, I would rather see modifications to any of the project Gerbers or source files made to a posting on Github, so readers know what is from the book and what is from readers. Anyone who wishes to push a project on Github is welcome to do it, as long as they say it is a modification of our project. Al and I, however, do not want the responsibility or time to maintain multiple copies of a project across multiple sites.

Jack, W8TEE

On Saturday, March 27, 2021, 9:38:07 AM EDT, Snowist <uyelik@...> wrote:

Probably this must have been discussed many times, but I still don't understand, not only for MCT, why the all the projects remain so disorganized. Why not professionally kept on a Github type repository. For example I was looking for Gerber and Firmware for the Loop Controller, but I still haven't figured out which file was the newest and which was old for a week. Publishing on Github and pushing other people's development on it will provide a faster development environment and most importantly, all files will be accessible by users easily.

All the best,
Erhan, TA1LSX

jason stephens <witsendjunk@...>

I completely agree with you. I have also suggested some uniformity for the updated files and revised builds based upon the many hundreds of requests for help and problem solving that has been done by others.

On 3/27/2021 9:38 AM, Snowist wrote:
Probably this must have been discussed many times, but I still don't understand, not only for MCT, why the all the projects remain so disorganized. Why not professionally kept on a Github type repository. For example I was looking for Gerber and Firmware for the Loop Controller, but I still haven't figured out which file was the newest and which was old for a week. Publishing on Github and pushing other people's development on it will provide a faster development environment and most importantly, all files will be accessible by users easily.

All the best,
Erhan, TA1LSX

Gyula Molnar

In my opinion, only the Files folder should be rearranged. Namely, so that it is clear at first glance.
You should create a master folder for each topic and then load the section data within it.
Anyone who has access to this should be asked to rearrange the content.
Then only inattentive uploaders should be regulated.
It was just an opinion.
Thank you for reading and accepting.

73, Gyula HA3HZ