Monoprice weatherproof hard cases

Doug W

I needed a Pelican type case for a project that did not justify Pelican prices.  I know lots of you guys like the Harbor Freight Apache cases.  One downside to the Apache cases is they are only IP65 (water jets) rated.  I decided to take a chance on a Monoprice Pure Outdoor case which is IP67 (1 meter immersion for 30 mins) rated and still a bargain compared to Pelican.  I received this one https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10623 yesterday and it looks very good for around $25.
Yes I know ratings on cheap Chinese imports are only as good as the ink they are printed with but with what looks like a poured in place gasket and decent latches this case is good enough for what I needed and feels sturdier than the Harbor Freight ones.

jjpurdum

Doug:

I put one of Diz's 5 Watters (KitsAndParts.com) into an Apache case that cost me (on sale) $10. There's enough room in the case for a key, antenna, and small battery. I also think I could drive my car over it (nope...didn't try that). I was careful not to drill any holes in the case for antenna, power, or other jacks and it is very close to being waterproof.

Inline image

True, I didn't hold it under for 30 minutes in 3' of water, but I know I could drop it in a lake and take a few minutes to retrieve it without damage. I also like its small size, too. Perhaps the extra $15 is worth it, but then again, perhaps not.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 09:10 AM, jjpurdum wrote:
True, I didn't hold it under for 30 minutes in 3' of water, but I know I could drop it in a lake and take a few minutes to retrieve it without damage. I also like its small size, too. Perhaps the extra $15 is worth it, but then again, perhaps not.

Horses for courses.  I am not suggesting a $25 case is the best solution for everyone for a $50 radio.  I am sharing my experience with a low priced option when more robust liquid ingress protection is warranted.  I linked to the specific case I purchased that is larger than the small Apache, but Monoprice does have a fairly wide range of case sizes.  It is worth noting some of their larger cases cost about the same as Pelican so they would not be worth it in my opinion.  I am a huge fan of Harbor Freight, they just were not the right choice for my particular application.