Another CW relearning candidate #morsecodetutor #bluepill

Karl Jan Skontorp

Gentlemen!
I have been planning to "refresh" my morse skills - I have not practiced cw since the exam back in 1979 and now I wonder if I could refresh my skills and think this morse code tutor could help me!
I have read a lot about the morse tutor, but I'm still a little bit confused. Perhaps one of you would be kind enough to answer my questions. I have understood that it is three "versions" of the tutor. The original one, written by Jack, W8TEE, very nice work! Then we have the one from Bruce, W8BH, his own code based on the code from Jack, very nice too. The third one is the code ported to an Arduino ATmega2560, and this is also very nice!
I'm interested in the two first ones, running on a "Blue Pill".
First question:

The source code is different, but is the hardware the same, same pin numbers etc?
Is there a pcb available for one of them, or for both?
If pcb is available, where could I get one?

Best regards
Karl - LA3FY

jjpurdum

There are differences, as I think Bruce does use the SD card interface and I think he also uses interrupts in his. I didn't use them because, with human reflexes, polling was good enough. Still, the proper way to do it is with interrupts. Perhaps Bruce can answer your questions.

Jack, W8TEE

On Saturday, August 17, 2019, 6:12:37 PM EDT, Karl Jan Skontorp <karl.jan.skontorp@...> wrote:

[...]

Bruce Hall

Karl,

The hardware is the same.
Dave KI4PSR makes a PCB which will work with both versions of code.

The github repository for my PCB-compatible code is here:

Bruce

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 6:12 PM Karl Jan Skontorp <karl.jan.skontorp@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you both for the response!
73's de Karl - LA3FY

john.k@...

Karl

I know only the W8BH version. I made it on breadbord a rainy afternoon, Yes, very fast and easy. And I even tryied some of his "lessons" on his page, because I was NOT familiar to the Bluepill.
I must say it is nice work! Get the sketch from Gitthup, and download it to the BluePill, and you are up running! I used two small bredbords, and powered them with the Arduino bredbord power module. After test, I rebuild it on a single, longer, bredbord. But now there was problems! No live at all. The problem was that the powerbars in the sides on the long one, is different from the small ones, + / - are oppersite! When moving the powerwires to proper position, it alle played very well again.
Great thank to Bruce / W8BH for the entertainment. I am deeply greatfull for this little thing.

BR
OZ1QZ / John K.

[...]

Randy Davenport

I am also interested in relearning CW. I am disabled and low income. Does anyone have a cw tutor o could get?
Randy ka4nma

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019, 10:02 PM Bruce Hall <bhall66@...> wrote:
[...]

lostfrogsrecords <dave@...>

Hi Bruce,

Someone asked me if the MCT (your software) supports a straight key.  I said no but I would check.  What's the word on that?

Dave, KI4PSR

On 8/17/2019 9:01 PM, Bruce Hall wrote:
[...]

Good morning Dave, the short answer is no, it does not. But I am curious what they would like to do with the straight key. For instance, are they just interested in hearing and practicing their sending? In such a case, a code practice oscillator may fit the bill. Are they interested in doing something more complicated? Are they interested in a device that can decode what they are sending?

Bruce.

On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 7:44 AM lostfrogsrecords <dave@...> wrote:

[...]

It would be pretty simple to do. All you would need to do it read the pin that connects to the straight key tip and send the tone for as long as the key is closed. I would change my code to do interrupts on that pin in this case, but Bruce's does it already.

Jack, W8TEE

On Sunday, August 18, 2019, 8:15:16 AM EDT, Bruce Hall <bhall66@...> wrote:

[...]

bobolink <rwhinric@...>

Jack,

Don’t you already decode the paddles in Send->CopyCat
But hand-sent code would be more difficult to decode.
Do you have a spare GPIO pin for the handkey? That would integrate easier into the polling mode.

bob
wm6h

jjpurdum

Bob:

 Yes, but I didn't think that's the question. The question was if you can use a straight key with my MCT. It would be more difficult to decode hand-sent code because you can't make any assumptions about the spacing, which the keyer sets to 1:3 for dits-to-dahs. Everything else (e.g., letter, word, and Farnsworth spacing) is keyed off that. Figuring things out is especially difficult when you get a clown who sends CQ as dah-dit-dah-dit    dit-dah-dit-dah. I've actually heard this on 40M near the QRP frequency. If the MCT decoder can't follow your hand key signals, at least that tells you that your spacing is not correct.

Take a look in the MorseTutor.h header file. You should be able to figure out a free pin from what you find there.

Jack, W8TEE

On Sunday, August 18, 2019, 9:14:17 AM EDT, bobolink <rwhinric@...> wrote:

Jack,

Don’t you already decode the paddles in Send->CopyCat
But hand-sent code would be more difficult to decode.
Do you have a spare GPIO pin for the handkey? That would integrate easier into the polling mode.

bob
wm6h

lostfrogsrecords <dave@...>

Ok, thanks.  I think he wants to enjoy Jack's concept that you added to of responding to the MCT challenges in the Sending Mode.  He can obviously use all the features of the Receiving Mode.

Dave, KI4PSR

On 8/18/2019 7:15 AM, Bruce Hall wrote:
[...]

I have no idea how to do “Machine Learning” but learning someone’s “fist” ... who needs a Master’s thesis?

wm6h