Re: Blue Pill Connect with ST-Link #arduino #bluepill #stm32 #usb

jjpurdum

The problem is that the Arduino (Atmel) family have not kept pace. The STM32 family was doing pretty well in the Arduino IDE using the core written by Roger Clark. The the STM people came in and made their core available and that really muddied the waters. The ESP32 people, seeing what was going on with the STM32, jumped in with a patch. The problem there is there are a bazillion iterations of that board, with 32 up to 38 pins, some of which you shouldn't even have access to.

In all of this, however, the Teensy family has always had a reliable core and access to it with Paul's libraries. The Teensy 4.1 is a beast! It has a deep resource pool with up to 8mB of flash, all scooting along at 600mHz, plus a lot of I/O pins and reliable libraries to make things work. The only downside of the Teensy family is that they are more expensive than the other alternatives. Still, for me, if I value my time at more than two cents an hour, their reliability is worth the price.

Jack, W8TEE

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021, 4:14:28 PM EDT, jmh6@... <jmh6@...> wrote:

Hi Dave,

    Glad to read your note. Another chip family to stay away from. I am
amazed at how many Arduino 428 projects are out there that 'just work'.

    When I try to move even a simple program to a different Arduino ISP
supported chip it no longer compiles.

    For that reason, when I get serious about using a chip, I write my own
stuff. Even the bootloader. At least then I have a chance of figuring out
what really is wrong.

    Most chips today seem loaded with poorly tested extra features. Reading
Microchip errata can be really entertaining/disturbing. For the UART on
one chip it says: If the first re-init attempt does not work, repeat until
the UART starts running again. How are you supposed to know if it is
working without sending lots of stuff over the wire to confuse another
chip?

    Huh!.... Even the UART does not work reliably.

    Pretty sad!

    I stop here :).

    Lots of fun.

Join SoftwareControlledHamRadio@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.