Topics

Creamy Stripe-Streak in Cave Creek Cyn, AZ

Lori Conrad

I found a Creamy Stripe-Streak about an hour ago in Sunny Flat Campground, here in Cave Creek Canyon near Portal, AZ.! On White Horehound. Lori

Lori Conrad

Still there today, on the same plant! It opened for a split second but it's blurry. You can see the beautiful dorsal pattern, though. Lori

Lori Conrad

Edited

For anyone interested, it was on the SAME PLANT again this afternoon! Alongside a Silver-banded Hairstreak.

Lori Conrad

There again this afternoon, same plant!

If anyone cares.

Elaine Halbedel

I care... Thanks, Lori, for posting this which allowed me to drive over from Silver City, NM today (5/18) and find the butterfly within 5 minutes of arrival, despite what seemed like acres of the blooming horsemint. Incidentally, there was also a Silver-banded Hairstreak (both px attached).

Elaine Halbedel
Silver City, NM

On Monday, May 18, 2020, 06:09:46 PM MDT, Lori Conrad <lconrad6853@...> wrote:

There again this afternoon, same plant!

If anyone cares.

DEBBIE SEBESTA

We care too. We arrived just as Elaine was leaving, judging by the NM plates on the car.  It took us longer than five minutes to find one but we finally did at the back of the campground on a horehound plant next to the trash bin.  Judging by the attached photo Paul took plus Lori’s and Elaine’s I think they are three different individuals.  What do you think?

Paul and Debbie Sebesta

Patagonia, AZ

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I care... Thanks, Lori, for posting this which allowed me to drive over from Silver City, NM today (5/18) and find the butterfly within 5 minutes of arrival, despite what seemed like acres of the blooming horsemint. Incidentally, there was also a Silver-banded Hairstreak (both px attached).

Elaine Halbedel

Silver City, NM

On Monday, May 18, 2020, 06:09:46 PM MDT, Lori Conrad <lconrad6853@...> wrote:

There again this afternoon, same plant!

If anyone cares.

Lori Conrad

Thanks Debbie & Elaine! Glad you got to see it. My comment was because nobody on this list had said anything! I had many comments on my post on DesertLeps.

I think there's only the one individual, I mean, what are the odds? We did have a Silver-banded there on the 3rd day as well, I just forgot to mention it.

Unfortunately, I can't enlarge your photo, Debbie, to look at it more closely. Not sure if you could post it a different way?

Lori

Mary Kay Eiemann

Oh, Lori, I care!  So much going on even in these quarantine times.
Your photos are wonderful, thank you!
(I just this morning enjoyed watching a Pipevine Swallowtail ovipositing
on my nonnative Aristolochia......also I’ll be meeting  Cindy Bethard
on Friday to do some butterflying on Mt. Lemmon. So a bit of butterfly fun.)
Mary Kay🦋

🌵

On May 15, 2020, at 4:55 PM, Lori Conrad <lconrad6853@...> wrote:

I found a Creamy Stripe-Streak about an hour ago in Sunny Flat Campground, here in Cave Creek Canyon near Portal, AZ.! On White Horehound. Lori
<dummyfile.0.part>
<dummyfile.1.part>

Lori Conrad

On the SAME PLANT again today! Day 5.....

Kenneth Davenport

 Lori:  This reminds me a few years ago of where I saw an apparent Desert Black Swallowtail out of place near the top of Sherman Pass, not a known place for it. It was worn so I did not collect it. Later I regretted it so I returned to the same bush over a week later, and there it was, on the same bush again at about the same time of day. I did net it this time and confirmed its identity.

   There was a 2nd like experience on one of our Sherman Pass butterfly counts. I saw a Yuma Skipper in the seep along the road by Limestone Campground along the Kern River. I missed it with my net, returned over a week later and there it was in the same seep!

   You are making me hard to keep updating your late day for the Jada changing every day.

Best Wishes, Ken Davenport kdavenport93306@... or flutterflies93306@...

On Tuesday, May 19, 2020, 04:56:19 PM PDT, Lori Conrad <lconrad6853@...> wrote:

On the SAME PLANT again today! Day 5.....

Lori Conrad

Hi Ken,

Should I stop updating? What is JADA?

Lori

[...]

Arawacus jada, the hairstreak you have been seeing every day.

On Tuesday, May 19, 2020, 05:49:56 PM PDT, Lori Conrad <lconrad6853@...> wrote:

[...]

No keep updating as I put in early and late dates for a record. It is amazing a rare stray would stay in place for several days. It must like the spot.

[...]

fsmodel

I thought Journal of the American Dental Association.

[...]

Day #6....The stripestreak was there AGAIN this afternoon! It wasn't there when we first walked up, but showed up on its favorite plant within about 5 minutes. I was looking at the other plants near the trash bins, then went back to the original plant & it was right on top! Amazing! Sorry, Ken. ;-)

Lori

Kenneth Davenport

Rick: Dental work is outlawed in California, excepting some emergencies.

On Tuesday, May 19, 2020, 09:40:44 PM PDT, fsmodel via groups.io <fsmodel@...> wrote:

[...]

Creamy Stripestreak update: There are now 4 of them in Sunny Flat campground! Yes, FOUR! We ran into a couple (Lauren & Mark) from Sierra Vista on our way in, who told us that they had just had 2 of them up above campsite #5, didn't know exactly where my spot was. I took them over to my spot, & there was one on the same group of horehound that I've seen every day except yesterday. As we're watching it, a 2nd one flies in to the same patch! Lauren said that one of the ones above #5 had a big chunk missing in one of the wings, & neither of these did. One was pristine! So in all likelihood, there are 4........3 for sure, based on wear.  The patches of horehound are pretty far apart from each other, so I doubt the 2 on the hill came down to "my" patch. Wow!

Lori

Lorena Krenitsky

All,
there are at least 5 individual Creamy Stripe-streaks at this location. I actually believe that we have documented 7 different individuals so far. I've never used the groups.io to post before, so I apologize if I fail miserably at posting my photos.

My husband, Mark, and I went looking for the butterfly yesterday afternoon, but we didn't know the location of the bush in question, so we started checking all the white horehound from the entrance to the campground. At campsite 5, we found two different individuals at the same time, one of which had a large chunk of forewing missing. I became suspicious that there might be more and so made sure to document the left underside of each. We proceeded to wander farther in and found a third individual in a large patch of horehound. At this point, we met Lori Conrad and her friend Mark (Marc?) who had missed the butterfly yesterday. Lori told us we weren't even at the bush in question! We proceeded much further in to that bush and found two more individuals at the same time, seen by all in the party. Again, I made sure to photograph all, and from the same side. Social distancing prevented us from sharing photos so we were unsure how many specimens were actually seen at that point, but could safely assume three because these latest two were not missing any patches of wing, and one was amazingly fresh. That one, which turns out to be the fifth individual, still has the smaller secondary tails which appear easy to wear off.

I compared all the pictures I took of the sightings today, and each is a different individual as proven by different wear and tear on wings and missing scales. Please see the comparison photo. If you compare pictures already posted here by others, the wing wear we observed today is also different, so we may be able to safely say that there have been at least 7 individuals documented so far. Please see Lori Conrad's image of the left side of an A. jada on May 16th, and by Elaine Halbedel's image from May 18th. I will make a side by side comparison of all of these if anyone wants me to, and the respective photographers grant permission for me to use their images.

All but one of the butterflies were found resting or nectaring on horehound, while the second individual was resting on Silverleaf Nightshade (Solanum elaeagnifolium). If I recall correctly, A. jada feeds on plants in the nightshade family, so this may be important. My picture of the first individual is actually on Mesquite because I disturbed it trying to take a photo of the left side.

If this is a significant finding, should I post in places in addition to this mailing list? Please let me know and I will do so.

It was great meeting Lori and Mark (Marc?) yesterday! And thanks very much for reporting your sighting! This is very exciting.
Lorena Krenitsky