The S Scale Bug Bit (was Parts Needed (was Marker lamps

JGG KahnSr

Something similar in my case: the Tomalco Sn3 C-16's (first #278 from Japan, then the joint project from Korea with PFM, #223) looked 
quite tempting, since I never intended to have a large operation; when PFM had the remainder sale (and pretty much ruined Swede 
Norlin's investment) I REALLY was on the brink, only to be saved by discovering some dealer had bought them all before anyone else 
could get in.  and that was pre-1980.
And I had had the vague idea even earlier with Jan Lornezen's 44-tonner kit, that it was a perfect small railroad choice, along with 
Northeastern/Kinsman kits, perhaps later a Rex Dockside.  Many years later I did get that LWS kit and am very glad I never put all 
my modeling eggs in that particular basket.
But it took SHS clever marketing to persuade me to dip my toe in the water with a couple SOO PS-2's at a train show in LaCrosse WI...

Jace Kahn
General Manager
Ceres & Canisteo RR Co./Champlain County Traction Co.

From: Sn3@groups.io <Sn3@groups.io> on behalf of William Winans <3W2scalesonly@...>
Sent: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 10:10 AM
To: Sn3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Sn3] Parts Needed (was Marker lamps

Hi Jace --

Sorry, never had those parts.   The store did not start to sell S until the mid 1980s when I became fully involved with the scale.  Miller was before "my time."  While I always thought S was the perfect size for model trains even as a small kid, I had developed a taste for brass models and narrow gauge even before graduating high school -- long before similar things were available in S.   Only when S began to have these things (P-B-L's DRGW K-37 in 1980) did I fully commit, and only when OMI, Oriental, AM came out with standard gauge rolling stock could the store carry anything.   While I had a world wide clientele for the S section of the shop, it never did well enough to really justify its existence and would not have been there except for my personal weirdness.   When DPH started to acquire various lines that were failing (thank you Ron), that removed them from my store, unfortunately.   At that time, I decided to let the S section die off, but sold the store not too long after anyway and moved to AZ.   The new owners did not want the S stuff (they couldn't afford it) and I kept all that, now virtually all gone after 14 years of sales at conventions and O Scale West + S or used by me (the customer of last resort).

Bill Winans 

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 12:40 AM JGG KahnSr <jacekahn@...> wrote:
Golly, Bill, perhaps you have the Miller diesel exhaust stack and three turned brass bells I need?
Anyone else on the list who has extras of those can also play.

And I can use two pair of the SSL&S Andrews tender trucks, if anyone has any for sale.

Jace Kahn
General Manager
Ceres & Canisteo RR Co./Champlain County Traction Co.

From: Sn3@groups.io <Sn3@groups.io> on behalf of William Winans <3W2scalesonly@...>
Sent: Monday, November 5, 2018 11:49 PM
To: Sn3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Sn3] Marker lamps

Hi --

There have been many marker lamps of several different styles made in S.   If you have a particular type (prototype maker) in mind, that could narrow your search.   Unfortunately, the Rio Grande tended to use an unusual type of marker on occasion and I only know of one person who has made these for himself and not for public consumption.   You also need to specify whether you expect to light these things, as some are cored for bulbs, most are not.

I used to have a lot of marker lamps, and I still might have more than I need.   I just need to know what you are after.   Back when I had my shop in So Cal, I was the largest S dealer west of Chicago land.   Most of that inventory has been sold in the intervening 14 years since I sold the shop, but some detail stuff remains...   

Good luck!
Bill Winans  

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 9:01 PM Pablo <Lowlandlizards@...> wrote:
Does anyone know if anyone makes a kit for assembling caboose or coach marker lights / lamps ? PBL?, Cimmeron? Private party?
If not us, then who? If not now, then when? If not, why not? If not not, why?
Thanks for any help with this.

Gary Kohler

can anyone provide info

we can and will do all the 3D work, do the masters and get cast if there is a demand for such things.

Gary Kohler
330-719-0264
m2fq@...

LARRY KLOSE

PBL has Adlake Marker lamps in Brass, in their catalog section.  I used several sets on various models, some of which are still in process.  Nicely made in two parts, hollow and drilled on the bottom so it's easy to put lights in if you want.  My one regret is that I didn't include lights those in my 0400 model before I finished it off.  Now it would require a lot of disassembly to get a decoder and wiring on the interior.  Larry

Bob Werre

A few years ago I built a wooden caboose kit for a friend.  We used marker lamps by Taurus Products which were pre-wired with conventional bulbs.  I removed (just broke them) and installed surface mounted LED's mounted with Testors canopy glue.  Getting all three lens to glow was a bit tricky but it worked.  I then connected them to a small board sold by Richmond Controls.  The LEDs would glow for about 30 seconds after the power was cut so there was no need for fancy pickups. 

Bob Werre

Phototraxx

On 11/8/18 12:28 PM, LARRY KLOSE wrote:
PBL has Adlake Marker lamps in Brass, in their catalog section.  I used several sets on various models, some of which are still in process.  Nicely made in two parts, hollow and drilled on the bottom so it's easy to put lights in if you want.  My one regret is that I didn't include lights those in my 0400 model before I finished it off.  Now it would require a lot of disassembly to get a decoder and wiring on the interior.  Larry