What should P-B-L make next? #poll

Mark

Hi All,

Being relatively new to Sn3, I am having a difficult time expanding my locomotive and car roster due to the limited availability of kits, RTR and brass.  I scour the usual suspects (eBay, brasstrains.com, various online hobby stores, etc.) and rarely find any selection.  I know the Sn3 community is small but dedicated and I also realize that most of the community has been modeling in this scale for quite a number of years and has had the opportunity to procure most of what has been available by the various manufacturers since the late '80s.  but this lack of availability puts a damper on my enthusiasm.  The folks at P-B-L have been fantastic with their service and answering my newbie question on their long out of production locomotives and rolling stock. 

I also noticed in this list there have been reports from the NNGC and P-B-L having a lack of interest for the C-16 project (I also do not see this as a viable project as Sn3 C-16's are readily available).

....so I take keyboard in hand to ask the community "What should P-B-L make next?" 

The list is long and by no means complete so pardon me if I do not list a specific locomotive or piece of rolling stock you are looking for.

Regards,

Mark

Results

See Who Responded

Geoff Hamway

Hi Mark --

I've cast my vote and hope others will as well.  And I can appreciate your frustration at lack of availability, although there aren't many new brass projects in ANY scale.  I did note that PBL had a pretty good selection of used brass at the convention -- if you haven't already done so, you should let Keren know what you're looking for.  I've found PBL to be very good about letting me know when something I've asked about turns up.  It's not a bad idea to ask on this group, too.  Many of us have things we don't really need, and might part with them if prompted.  Good luck!

Geoff Hamway

ebt16

Hello everyone

I have one or two other Sn3 items not on the list. I have asked PBL for some time would they ever consider an eastern narrow gauge engine. The ET&WNC ten wheelers are very nice small motive power. For those who are freelancers or eastern NG modelers they are ideal. My other request which I have not sent to them in a while is the WP&Y/SV ALCO mikados. An inside frame locomotive. I doubt the market for any of the EBTs inside frame mikados would be limited to a handful of modelers. A doubt there will ever be another passenger car run. I remember Bill Peters calling me about the delay in release as I had ordered a Chili line set and several other cars. A rather large order for me. I was surprised to get the call and Bill spent a considerable time on the phone discussing the issues with me. Hindsight being 20/20, I wish I had ordered a second Chili line set as I am about to embark on a Chili Line module project. Another run of K-28s is always on my list.

Matt
Freeland Maryland

Brooks Coburn

Interesting topic. Would there be any interest in a re-run if the SPNG engines now that they have #18 restored and running again out in Laws?

EBT would be fun too but it would have to involve kits for the hoppers. (That would be a two-fer.)

Brooks

Lydecker,Robert Cynthia(11)

I’m thinking a small logging style rod engine (something like a 2-6-2 or 2-8-2) would be quite useful. Of course a 70 ton three truck Heisler would be terrific!!

... Bob

On Sep 12, 2018, at 8:16 PM, ebt16 <matthgmk28@...> wrote:

Hello everyone

I have one or two other Sn3 items not on the list. I have asked PBL for some time would they ever consider an eastern narrow gauge engine. The ET&WNC ten wheelers are very nice small motive power. For those who are freelancers or eastern NG modelers they are ideal. My other request which I have not sent to them in a while is the WP&Y/SV ALCO mikados. An inside frame locomotive. I doubt the market for any of the EBTs inside frame mikados would be limited to a handful of modelers. A doubt there will ever be another passenger car run. I remember Bill Peters calling me about the delay in release as I had ordered a Chili line set and several other cars. A rather large order for me. I was surprised to get the call and Bill spent a considerable time on the phone discussing the issues with me. Hindsight being 20/20, I wish I had ordered a second Chili line set as I am about to embark on a Chili Line module project. Another run of K-28s is always on my list.

Matt
Freeland Maryland

Jason Sanford

I like the idea of re-runninng the SPNG equipment.  I also will cast my vote for anything DSP&P.  I can only imagine how awesome PBL DSP&P equipment would be!

Jason

mail2archive@...

I don't have a crystal ball, however I suspect that PBL will not consider producing another hybrid. The cost of cutting the molds combined with the limited number of engines does not make financial cense. The K-27s was a good experiment because it is their most popular model and allowed multiple numbers and configurations.

I too would love to see a logging locomotive like a 2-6-6-2 that http://www.glacierparkmodels.com/Tank_Mallets.html made. I am sure that Glacier Park would share the drawings with PBL.

I suspect that the passenger cars will be next. PBL has already started working on the drawings and went down to Knotts Berry Farm to do measurements. I want a Shavano set.

After that my guess would be a run of C-19s. Running the C-19s they could do D&RGW, RGS and C&S.

But whatever they do, I am sure it will be museum quality.

Bill B.

JGG KahnSr

RailMaster in Australia makes kits for the WP&Y 2-8-2's

Jace Kahn
General Manager
Ceres & Canisteo RR Co./Champlain County Traction Co.

From: Sn3@groups.io <Sn3@groups.io> on behalf of ebt16 <matthgmk28@...>
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 9:15 PM
To: Sn3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Sn3] What should P-B-L make next?

Hello everyone

I have one or two other Sn3 items not on the list. I have asked PBL for some time would they ever consider an eastern narrow gauge engine. The ET&WNC ten wheelers are very nice small motive power. For those who are freelancers or eastern NG modelers they are ideal.  My other request which I have not sent to them in a while is the WP&Y/SV ALCO mikados. An inside frame locomotive. I doubt the market for any of the EBTs inside frame mikados would be limited to a handful of modelers. A doubt there will ever be another passenger car run. I remember Bill Peters calling me about the delay in release as I had ordered a Chili line set and several other cars. A rather large order for me. I was surprised to get the call and Bill spent a considerable time on the phone discussing the issues with me. Hindsight being 20/20, I wish I had ordered a second Chili line set as I am about to embark on a Chili Line module project. Another run of K-28s is always on my list.

Matt
Freeland Maryland

ebt16

Jace,

Yes, the Railmaster model is an excellent model of the WP&Y Baldwin mikados. Having seen one of the real ones run at Dollywood in Pigeon Forge Tennessee I would say that John Agnew hit a home run with his model. Pictures below

However, WP&Y purchased SV’s Alco built mikados and ran them in the post war era. These are the ones that I suggested some time ago to PBL. I believe one of the engines is still in service back on the Sumpter Valley. I tried to find a photo I have of #80 at the Carcross station pulling a mixed train of motor cars on flats., but have misplaced it. The info below is from the SV website https://www.sumptervalleyrailroad.org/equipment-roster.html

• ALCO Mikado, Sumpter Valley Ry. - White Pass & Yukon, No. 101 - 20 - 80, C/ N 61980 
  • ALCO Mikado, Sumpter Valley Ry. - White Pass & Yukon, No. 102 - 19 - 81, C/ N 61981

Matt

On Sep 13, 2018, at 6:13 PM, JGG KahnSr <jacekahn@...> wrote:

RailMaster in Australia makes kits for the WP&Y 2-8-2's

Jace Kahn
General Manager

From: Sn3@groups.io <Sn3@groups.io> on behalf of ebt16 <matthgmk28@...>
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 9:15 PM

Hello everyone

I have one or two other Sn3 items not on the list. I have asked PBL for some time would they ever consider an eastern narrow gauge engine. The ET&WNC ten wheelers are very nice small motive power. For those who are freelancers or eastern NG modelers they are ideal.  My other request which I have not sent to them in a while is the WP&Y/SV ALCO mikados. An inside frame locomotive. I doubt the market for any of the EBTs inside frame mikados would be limited to a handful of modelers. A doubt there will ever be another passenger car run. I remember Bill Peters calling me about the delay in release as I had ordered a Chili line set and several other cars. A rather large order for me. I was surprised to get the call and Bill spent a considerable time on the phone discussing the issues with me. Hindsight being 20/20, I wish I had ordered a second Chili line set as I am about to embark on a Chili Line module project. Another run of K-28s is always on my list.

Matt
Freeland Maryland

Jeff Mrock

Mark,

Concerning PBL rolling stock, unless your referring to brass MOW equipment or passenger cars, all of the
PBL kits are still available and being produced.  Also, I think someone still make the old Tomalco kits and I
think Keith Wiseman offers the Triangle Scale model kits as well, that really must be built, rather than assembled
like the PBL kits.

Also Paul Vaughn offers the line of BLW C&S cars, that ran on the RGS too.  It's mostly motive power that is 
a little scarce, but there is a lot of horse trading being done, it's not too hard to find things if your patient.

Jeff 

John Agnew

Gawd Jace, you Canadians are a worry. We are KIWI's not Aussies !!!!!!

John Agnew
Railmaster Exports
29 Pupuke Rd
Birkenhead, North Shore City 0627
New Zealand
Phone/Fax: (64) 9419 1994
www.railmaster.co.nz
john@...

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Max Maginness

Thought I would let you say that first!

Max

From: Sn3@groups.io <Sn3@groups.io> On Behalf Of John Agnew
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2018 8:23 PM

John Agnew
Railmaster Exports
29 Pupuke Rd
New Zealand
www.railmaster.co.nz
john@...

Don Nelson

The old triangle scale models kits are now at www. Locopainter.com. Some of the boxcars which were styrene pieces back in TSM days, are now polyurethane(?) castings, which simplifies construction ( no more putting tiny grab iron bolts next to the grab irons!

PVC-Sn3.com makes some kits for rgs/c&s stock and boxcars, as well as a few others . Some other kits are kit bashes like his tank cars

Sn3 is typically a kit builders scale with the exception of soMe of the RTO cars PBL brings in.

Lots of used brass out there- keep looking as the frequently pop up in various places.

Handlaid track makes fixtures and everything you need to build excellent switches.

Welcome to Sn3
Don

On Sep 13, 2018, at 7:51 PM, Jeff Mrock via Groups.Io <RGS461@...> wrote:

Mark,

Concerning PBL rolling stock, unless your referring to brass MOW equipment or passenger cars, all of the
PBL kits are still available and being produced.  Also, I think someone still make the old Tomalco kits and I
think Keith Wiseman offers the Triangle Scale model kits as well, that really must be built, rather than assembled
like the PBL kits.tris

Also Paul Vaughn offers the line of BLW C&S cars, that ran on the RGS too.  It's mostly motive power that is 
a little scarce, but there is a lot of horse trading being done, it's not too hard to find things if your patient.

Jeff 

JGG KahnSr

My apologies, John; I must have been thinking of my old friend George Paxon, who married a sheila and retired there.

Jace Kahn
General Manager

From: Sn3@groups.io <Sn3@groups.io> on behalf of John Agnew <john@...>
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2018 11:22 PM

John Agnew
Railmaster Exports
29 Pupuke Rd
New Zealand
www.railmaster.co.nz
john@...

chris <drgwrgs@...>

PBL no longer makes the skel log cars.  They are coming out with a shorter version in the near future.  

Economou, Peter

Hello all,

When I spoke to Jimmy at the last Sn3 convention in Dallas, he mentioned he was considering a 4-4-0 project… perhaps the Eureka. I believe PBL mentioned that potential model one of their update letters earlier this year.

I would be very interested in such a 4-4-0. Anyone else speak to Mr. Booth about this or have any interest?

Regards,

Peter

Roy C Link <rclpubs@...>

I would be very interested in an Sn3 Baldwin 4-4-0 or 2-6-0 in ‘West Coast’ style. The 4-4-0 ‘Eureka’ is most likely my favourite US prototype . . .

And yes, I do know that nice Mr Agnew could sell me a kit. But I’ve seen just what PBL is capable of (I have an S.P. No.18) and would really like to see what they could do.

Roy

On 17 Sep 2018, at 16:30, Economou, Peter <peter.economou@...> wrote:

Hello all,

When I spoke to Jimmy at the last Sn3 convention in Dallas, he mentioned he was considering a 4-4-0 project… perhaps the Eureka. I believe PBL mentioned that potential model one of their update letters earlier this year.

I would be very interested in such a 4-4-0. Anyone else speak to Mr. Booth about this or have any interest?

Regards,

Peter

k27fan

The pending restoration of 168 and the passenger cars to go with it is an excellent opportunity to do a second run of the T-12’s.  I would also like to see a 4-4-0 or 2-6-0 which would work for early logging and/ mining.

Russ Segner

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 9:16 AM

I would be very interested in an Sn3 Baldwin 4-4-0 or 2-6-0 in ‘West Coast’ style. The 4-4-0 ‘Eureka’ is most likely my favourite US prototype . . .

And yes, I do know that nice Mr Agnew could sell me a kit. But I’ve seen just what PBL is capable of (I have an S.P. No.18) and would really like to see what they could do.

Roy

On 17 Sep 2018, at 16:30, Economou, Peter <peter.economou@...> wrote:

Hello all,

Regards,

Peter

Bill

Russ:

Your observation about “restoration” is well taken. Perhaps a “commemorative” version of #315 (with videos/book?) would be in order? I would think the more 315 is operated there may be more desire for a model(s). . . maybe even include our On3 friends?

Bill

_,_

bassb04011

Us On3ers would appreciate a PBL locomotive though yes, total pipe dream and won’t happen I know. We have no one making locomotives...
Brian

On Sep 18, 2018, at 2:31 PM, Bill <wadkins@...> wrote:

Russ:

Your observation about “restoration” is well taken. Perhaps a “commemorative” version of #315 (with videos/book?) would be in order? I would think the more 315 is operated there may be more desire for a model(s). . . maybe even include our On3 friends?

Bill

_,_