Servo Config Comm Connect failure #question

Ralf

Edited

Hello,
i need to change the settings my rotator servomotor. I can connect to the sitech servo I using Servo Communicator 2.3 and I can move focuser and rotator using COM5.
I close the communicator and start servoconfig 1.3 with COM5 no connection. If I choose an other port i get the message "couldn't open serial port". So COM5 is not as wrong. Device manager says "its working". Nothing else connected to the pc. Same problem with my notebook.
I think this problem exists since i use a new pc with windows 10.
Any ideas to fix or test?
Thanks a lot
Ralf
PS: tested now sitech servo II (for Ra / Dec) on COM3: servoconfig is working normally.

Don W

Hi Ralf,
Sorry, I don't have an answer.  I have a Servo I controller that uses Com1, and it connects fine to either ServoConfig or Servo Communicator.  It can't connect to both at once.

In Win10 Device Manager, check the settings for Com5, maybe click on "Restore Defaults".

The Servo II is completely different, using USB, the controller has a built-in USB to Serial adapter, so it will use a different serial port - not the same as for a servo I.

Don W

Ralf

Hi Don,
thanks for answer. It seems to be another Win10 mystery.
I reactivated my old PC with Win7 and can update settings without any issues and save to eprom...
It is not worth trying to understand everything.
Bye
Ralf

Russell R

Ralf,

Try "run as administrator" or search how to unblock ports in Window 10 Firewall.

Best,
Russell R.

Ralf

Hi Russell,
that was the trick to get communication between Communicator and Focuser running again.
But didn't help in my actual issue.
I can test and tune the motor with servoconfig, but can't write (and read the setting from the controller) the new settings to controller: "suspects a problem with the send", after that "no commun 1"
I have to select the same port again to get connection to Addr. 1 again.
Is there a special setting for the serial port?
Servus
Ralf

Russell R

Hi Ralf,

Are you using a serial port, a serial to usb converter cable or serial dongle on usb port?  Could it be a cable issue?

Normally, the serial port is straightforward.  In Device Manager, disable the serial port momentarily, then enable it again.  Does it work now?

I was looking through my notes and I suggest to reload the firmware (3.9) for your Servo I.  Make sure you backup the .car files or have those settings recorded somewhere.  Normally, you won't loose the settings after a firmware update.
Instructions for this is on page 80 & 81 of http://www.siderealtechnology.com/SetupManual.pdf

Here is the basic setup for Focuser & Rotator.

The SiTech Controller must have it's address set to "1" instead of "3" as was in the SiTechExe software.

This is done with the "Misc and Action" tab of ServoConfig/Edit Parameters.

Be sure to set up the proper comm port in ServoCommunicator

Each ServoCommunicator can connect to one SiTech Servo Controller.

Now, you can connect 1 or 2 focusers to SiTech Communicator, or, 1 focuser and 1 rotator to ServoCommunicator.

No need to run the ServoCommunicator, the focuser or rotator software will run it for you.

The Rotator MUST be connected to the Altitude/Declination axis of the Servo Controller.

The First Focuser MUST be connected to the Azimuth/RightAscension of the Servo Controller.

If you want to use 2 focusers, then you can't use a rotator.

To operate the 2nd focuser, connect the servo motor to the altitude/declination axis of the servo controller, run the batch file called:

SiTechFocuser2.bat.   It needs to be in the folder C:/Program Files (x86)/SiTech/ServoCommunicator.

Note: You MUST run SiTechFocuser.exe BEFORE you run SiTechFocuser2.bat, or you won't be able to run SiTechFocuser.exe for the 1st focuser.

Once you have your focuser motor(s) connected to the ServoI or ServoII controller, you MUST configure the controller using ServoConfig.

The most important parameter is the Ticks Per Motor Revolution.

They need to be configured for ticks per INCH of focuser motion.

You can find this out with a ruler, move the focuser 1 inch and see the ticks difference in ServoConfig

The other items are the Slew speed, Pan Speed, and Acceleration, and important, the current limit.

 Hope this helps!
 Russell R.

Ralf

Hi Russell,
thank you very much für your detailed answer, i appreciate that!
I tested two different usb to serial converter, both are  working.
I get only the error message, when I want to write the settings to the controller. I tried for hours...
Always when I test the new speed settings WHITIN servoconfig, the motor is much too fast, controler goes to manual mode and motor stops.
I'm not sure to update the FW from 3.8 to 3.9. Can this not be dangerous, if I have concerns about the connection? Are the improvements worth the risk?
I gave up. Then by chance I started the rotator app, suprisingly in this app the speed settings are correct. Motor is running smooth. Luckily in future I don't need the servoconfig app...

"Once you have your focuser motor(s) connected to the ServoI or ServoII controller, you MUST configure the controller using ServoConfig.

The most important parameter is the Ticks Per Motor Revolution.

They need to be configured for ticks per INCH of focuser motion.

You can find this out with a ruler, move the focuser 1 inch and see the ticks difference in ServoConfig

The other items are the Slew speed, Pan Speed, and Acceleration, and important, the current limit."

For rotator: I have to set the ticks per 360° rotation, I guess? I hope I get this written to the controler...
Thanks,
Ralf

Russell R

Hi Ralf,

Since ServoConfig works with Servo II controller, then I would think ServoConfig app is working fine.

SiTech works best with FTDI converters.

Be sure no other SiTech apps are running when using ServoConfig, including Servocommunicator.  I even unplug the cable going to the controller I don't want to configure.

If what I read from you is correct, you can establish a connection with Servo I and even input the address, but just can't read or write to the controller.

 If you can't read and write to the controller, then something is wrong.  This is why I suggest to flash the firmware in case of a glitch, but if you are happy with what you got, then skip the upgrades below.

If for some reason a normal upgrade won't work, you can do the following:
Power off controller by unplugging it. Then plug in your handpad and hold ESC + RET when you power up the controller again, this will force it into (receive mode).  If LED 1 starts to blink, then it worked and you can use the UPGRADE FLASH ROM feature in ServoConfig to re-flash the firmware to 3.9 version.

Also, there was an update to Focuser II software on 3/8/2021, this has to do with the 2nd focuser using 1st focuser slew speed.  This is a zip file with the Focuser II app, so just replace the app.  This does not change ServoCommunicator version 2.3
http://siderealtechnology.com/SiTechFocuser2.1b.zip

When using ServoConfig to change speed, just change the raw speed and don't worry about DPS, adjust the raw speed until you like it.  You might not notice in ServoConfig, but when you save to flash and restart ServoCommunicator it should change.

I use (1st focuser) to run a SiTech focuser and the (2nd focuser) to operate a shutter on the front of my telescope for optics protection and taking flats after imaging session.
Focuser II is not just for focusers and rotators!

Best,
Russell R.

Ralf

Hi Russell,

of course I use Prolific Converter :(
I will test FTDI. USB to Serial: there are USB to RS232 and USB to TTL converters. There is a difference in logic levels.
I remember now, that I had some issue to add a DIY bluetooth serial adapter to Sitech II Controller. Taj explained, that the controller uses RS232, but some converters simply use TTL.
This could be an explanation for the incorrect / incomplete communication. Does anyone know?

Ralf

Don W

Hi Ralf,
This has been going on for years - the Prolific Pirates creating cheap chips for the adapters.  MicroSoft has  incorporated into various Windows to sense a pirated adapter chip and disable it.  Of course the pirates then overcome it.  The FTDI chips have not had that problem.
Don W

Ralf

Hi Don,
thanks for the background information, I hadn't known. Annoying, all the trouble about a few cents ..
Biden admonishes us europeans to keep more distance from china - I aggree!
Ralf