Topics

Serious Issue with Tracking

Graham Berry

When I  used my Mesu 200 and Sitech controller last October it tracked and guided like a dream.
Returning to it this January all is not well.
The controller pop up shows both dec and RA moving and stars are drifting with 1 second exposure intervals.
Starting up PHD2 guiding cannot contain the drift.
I'm using Sitech 0.94N.exe and Ascom platform 6.
Polar aligned with a QHY Polemaster which has always produced good results.
Should I reset to factory or upgrade the flash?
I have been in discussion with Lucas Mesu who confirms my cfg settings are correct, we even re-installed the original file included when I bought the mount.
Lucas is puzzled with the errors I am getting !!!
Any help very welcome indeed.
Thanks,
Graham

Jaspal Chadha

Hi

What Mesu mount? Mark 1 or 2 ? Also in sitech does it say “tracking” but your getting the drift in RA?

On 3 Feb 2021, at 15:41, Graham Berry <graham@...> wrote:

When I  used my Mesu 200 and Sitech controller last October it tracked and guided like a dream.
The controller pop up shows both dec and RA moving and stars are drifting with 1 second exposure intervals.
I have been in discussion with Lucas Mesu who confirms my cfg settings are correct, we even re-installed the original file included when I bought the mount.
Thanks,
Graham

Don W

Hi Graham,

How are you initializing your mount?  What does the tall SiTech window show in the bar across the window about 1/4 up from the bottom?  It should say "tracking".

Also if your setting for meridian flips is to stop at the limit, look at the SkyView and see where SiTech "thinks" you are pointing.  If the mount is not racking - you will get a lot of RA drift.

I think your settings are OK, so probably your start up routine is not initializing the mount properly.
Don W

Jaspal Chadha

Don 

What is the correct method of initializing?

My workflow 

When the mount is off I manual point to NORTH eAST. Switch the mount on, UNPARK and blind solve in voyager. 

I then get the small box pop up and make sure it is shown pointing EAST then get the “ OFSET INIT” then it syncs. 

TiA

On 3 Feb 2021, at 17:01, Don W <westergren@...> wrote:

Hi Graham,

How are you initializing your mount?  What does the tall SiTech window show in the bar across the window about 1/4 up from the bottom?  It should say "tracking".

Also if your setting for meridian flips is to stop at the limit, look at the SkyView and see where SiTech "thinks" you are pointing.  If the mount is not racking - you will get a lot of RA drift.

I think your settings are OK, so probably your start up routine is not initializing the mount properly.
Don W

Graham Berry

Hi Don,
Thanks for your reply.

I’ve had no start up faults over the past two years until now and
wondering what has failed!

OK,
Unpark Mesu 200 mount and goto using CDC. 
Sitech window says tracking.
Goto object, plate solve and sync, Sitech confirms init offset.
Mount says tracking.
Window shows Dec changing as well as RA!
Stars starting to streak after 1 second looping exposures.

Graham

On 3 Feb 2021, at 18:01, Don W <westergren@...> wrote:

Hi Graham,

Don W

paul K

Edited

Hi Graham,

Does the mount intialise (offset init) and does it slew with the handset? Is it MESU200 or the newer MESU200e with clutches? Does Sitech.exe indicate 'Tracking' when the mount is supposed to be tracking? Presumably the balance hasn't changed?

[edit ]sorry ignore this - for some reason I had not seen other posts.
Paul

Graham Berry

Hi Paul,
Yes the mount performs an offset init on syncing and also slews with the handset.
It's the original Mesu 200 and yes it indicates tracking in the .exe window when tracking the object.
The balance I’ve checked and is as good as I can get it.
Trouble seems to be the sidereal rate is incorrect plus I see the dec moving in the .exe window which it shouldn’t when tracking, only slewing?
Graham

On 3 Feb 2021, at 18:52, paul K <paulskirk53@...> wrote:

Hi Graham,

Does the mount intialise (offset init) and does it slew with the handset? Is it MESU200 or the newer MESU200e with clutches? Does Sitech.exe indicate 'Tracking' when the mount is supposed to be tracking? Presumably the balance hasn't changed?
Paul

Jaspal Chadha

A few people have had drift issues recently. Could there be a bug in the Sitech software? 

On 3 Feb 2021, at 17:58, Graham Berry <graham@...> wrote:

Hi Paul,
Yes the mount performs an offset init on syncing and also slews with the handset.
It's the original Mesu 200 and yes it indicates tracking in the .exe window when tracking the object.
The balance I’ve checked and is as good as I can get it.
Trouble seems to be the sidereal rate is incorrect plus I see the dec moving in the .exe window which it shouldn’t when tracking, only slewing?
Graham

On 3 Feb 2021, at 18:52, paul K <paulskirk53@...> wrote:

Hi Graham,

Paul

paul K

Hi Graham,

I had some problems when I first had my mount. With Don's help I developed the following process for the initial initialisation of the mount, which removed the problems I had. Also though, there have been Sitech software updates, so it's difficult to know if either or both contribute!

It's a long time ago (2015), but I recall the errors I had were that tracking stopped mid session.

The initialisation process described below may be worth a try - post back and let us know how it goes.

Set the mount counterweight down (CWD) and scope horizontal and pointing west. Use a spirit level to check horizontal, but it's only a rough initialisation, so personally I just check horizontal by eye.
Now Power on the Sitech controller and run Sitech.exe. Check that you've got good scope comms (no ' faking servos' message)

In the skyview application (in the 'scope' tab), use your mouse to point at the west horizon so that mouaz is close to 270 degrees (west azimuth), and mouAlt is close to zero, right click and pick 'goto or sync', then click sync from the dialog.

the scope is now initialised and tracking and I'd suggest to follow this immeiately by setpark and park at this point. When ready to goto an object, you can unpark and goto etc.

The scope is now initialised well enough to get you roughly to the right area of sky when you slew to an object. A platesolve will get you an accurate initialisation.

The above process is very useful as you can do it in daytime in readiness for an evening session and also you can use a planetarium to slew the scope during the day for testing with a planetarium.

Paul

Graham Berry

Thanks Paul,
I’ll try that this evening as we have at the moment clear skies.
Graham

On 3 Feb 2021, at 19:26, paul K <paulskirk53@...> wrote:

Hi Graham,

I had some problems when I first had my mount. With Don's help I developed the following process for the initial initialisation of the mount, which removed the problems I had. Also though, there have been Sitech software updates, so it's difficult to know if either or both contribute!

It's a long time ago (2015), but I recall the errors I had were that tracking stopped mid session.

The initialisation process described below may be worth a try - post back and let us know how it goes.

Set the mount counterweight down (CWD) and scope horizontal and pointing west. Use a spirit level to check horizontal, but it's only a rough initialisation, so personally I just check horizontal by eye.
Now Power on the Sitech controller and run Sitech.exe. Check that you've got good scope comms (no ' faking servos' message)

In the skyview application (in the 'scope' tab), use your mouse to point at the west horizon so that mouaz is close to 270 degrees (west azimuth), and mouAlt is close to zero, right click and pick 'goto or sync', then click sync from the dialog.

the scope is now initialised and tracking and I'd suggest to follow this immeiately by setpark and park at this point. When ready to goto an object, you can unpark and goto etc.

The scope is now initialised well enough to get you roughly to the right area of sky when you slew to an object. A platesolve will get you an accurate initialisation.

The above process is very useful as you can do it in daytime in readiness for an evening session and also you can use a planetarium to slew the scope during the day for testing with a planetarium.

Paul

Graham Berry

Hi Paul,

Just followed your instructions down at the observatory, unfortunately no change,
dec window shows a position change of 1 sec declination per second.
Graham

On 3 Feb 2021, at 19:34, Graham Berry <graham@...> wrote:

Thanks Paul,
I’ll try that this evening as we have at the moment clear skies.
Graham

On 3 Feb 2021, at 19:26, paul K <paulskirk53@...> wrote:

Hi Graham,

Paul

Graham Berry

Hi Jaspal,

Yes says tracking.

Drifting in RA and Dec, Mesu Mk1.

Thanks,

Graham

On 3 Feb 2021, at 17:30, Jaspal Chadha via groups.io <jaspalchadha@...> wrote:

Hi

What Mesu mount? Mark 1 or 2 ? Also in sitech does it say “tracking” but your getting the drift in RA?

Thanks,
Graham

Jaspal Chadha

Ah! Okay I had drift in R.A Lucas Mesu looked at it remotely couldn’t find the issue. 

I brought a new PC and installed everything again.. the mount is not drifting at the moment. 

With my issue it’s been Intermittent but the issue comes really relatively quickly during a session. 

Have you tried a new config file and not a re written one or copy paste. 

J

On 3 Feb 2021, at 19:26, Graham Berry <graham@...> wrote:

Hi Jaspal,

Yes says tracking.

Thanks,

Graham

Hi

Thanks,
Graham

Graham Berry

Yes have tried both the original and modified one from Lucas….no difference.

Which version of Sitech.exe are you running and what’s your Ascom version please?

Thanks

Graham

On 3 Feb 2021, at 20:31, Jaspal Chadha via groups.io <jaspalchadha@...> wrote:

Ah! Okay I had drift in R.A Lucas Mesu looked at it remotely couldn’t find the issue. 

I brought a new PC and installed everything again.. the mount is not drifting at the moment. 

With my issue it’s been Intermittent but the issue comes really relatively quickly during a session. 

J

Hi Jaspal,

Yes says tracking.

Thanks,

Graham

Hi

Thanks,
Graham

Jaspal Chadha

I am using sitech 0.95G and ASCOM 6.1 SP1 the latest one 

On 3 Feb 2021, at 19:35, Graham Berry <graham@...> wrote:

Yes have tried both the original and modified one from Lucas….no difference.

Which version of Sitech.exe are you running and what’s your Ascom version please?

Thanks

Graham

On 3 Feb 2021, at 20:31, Jaspal Chadha via groups.io <jaspalchadha@...> wrote:

J

Hi Jaspal,

Yes says tracking.

Thanks,

Graham

Hi

Thanks,
Graham

Graham Berry

Hi Don,

For the last two years, un parking, goto, sync and then it track the Mesu perfectly.

So I feel that as I’m doing nothing different, and I’m sure the settings are as before, cfg file etc.  perhaps the controller may have a fault?

Can you recommend the factory reset or flash reset or another way of rebooting the controller?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Graham

On 3 Feb 2021, at 18:01, Don W <westergren@...> wrote:

Hi Graham,

Don W

Don W

Hi Graham,
Make sure your Changeconfig is set to GEM.  If SiTech thinks it is an Alt-Az mount it will track in both axis, RA and DEC.
Don W

Graham Berry

Hi Don,

Confirm it is set to GEM
Graham

On 3 Feb 2021, at 22:39, Don W <westergren@...> wrote:

Hi Graham,
Make sure your Changeconfig is set to GEM.  If SiTech thinks it is an Alt-Az mount it will track in both axis, RA and DEC.
Don W

Don W

Hi Graham

There is only one way to boot the SiTechexe program, that is to turn it on.

The controller firmware "Might" be corrupted, so using ServoConfig to reload everything might fix it.  There are two parts to a full update.  First, the basic firmware for the Servo I controller is V39.BIN.  This is loaded from ServoConfig using the "Upgrade Flash ROM" command.  The second is your config file with your personal settings.  These are the tics per rev and the speeds settings and the PIDs that control the servos.  These second data are stored in a "CAR" file when you are in the "Edit Parameters" section.

So you should save your settings in a new CAR file.  Then Upgrade the Flash ROM to V39.BIN.

If all this doesn't work, contact Dan Gray at Sidereal Technology.  Dan can use a remote desktop to your PC to fully check out the controller and see what is wrong.  That includes any failure of the actual controller electronics.  Dan can do this anywhere in the world using the internet.

Don W

Graham Berry

Hi Don,

Thanks for your explanation, much appreciated.

Graham

On 4 Feb 2021, at 03:55, Don W <westergren@...> wrote:

Hi Graham

There is only one way to boot the SiTechexe program, that is to turn it on.

The controller firmware "Might" be corrupted, so using ServoConfig to reload everything might fix it.  There are two parts to a full update.  First, the basic firmware for the Servo I controller is V39.BIN.  This is loaded from ServoConfig using the "Upgrade Flash ROM" command.  The second is your config file with your personal settings.  These are the tics per rev and the speeds settings and the PIDs that control the servos.  These second data are stored in a "CAR" file when you are in the "Edit Parameters" section.

So you should save your settings in a new CAR file.  Then Upgrade the Flash ROM to V39.BIN.

If all this doesn't work, contact Dan Gray at Sidereal Technology.  Dan can use a remote desktop to your PC to fully check out the controller and see what is wrong.  That includes any failure of the actual controller electronics.  Dan can do this anywhere in the world using the internet.

Don W