saving the tracking change to the controller

Gary Hug

Ive got another very basic question that I probably should already know the answer.

While I can change the tracking rate in the Servo config program and could see the motor change the rate, I tried to save that configuration to the servo controller II but the tracking rate didn't change when using the Servo Controller II. Do I need to use (reset the SiTech Technology Controller)?

I tried to save the configuration in the controller by using (send the configuration to controller) but that didn't seem to change the tracking rate through the controller. I also tried (save controller configuration to Flash ROM) but no joy there either.

sorry for all the silly questions but I haven't had to change much in the last decade and I have a 40mb hard drive in a 40 terabyte world.

thanks
Gary

Gary Hug

Actually I'm not sure if the controller recognizes the tracking rate change but it is not changing the rate in the SiTech.exe program.

On 4/27/2021 1:56 AM, Gary Hug wrote:
Ive got another very basic question that I probably should already know the answer.
While I can change the tracking rate in the Servo config program and could see the motor change the rate, I tried to save that configuration to the servo controller II but the tracking rate didn't change when using the Servo Controller II.  Do I need to use (reset the SiTech Technology Controller)?
I tried to save the configuration in the controller by using (send the configuration to controller) but that didn't seem to change the tracking rate through the controller.  I also tried (save controller configuration to Flash ROM) but no joy there either.
sorry for all the silly questions but I haven't had to change much in the last decade and I have a 40mb hard drive in a 40 terabyte world.
thanks
Gary

Don W

Hi Gary,
In ServoConfig when changing the Equatorial Rate, you then must both "Send Configuration to Controller" and "Save Controller Configuration to Flash ROM".

When you run SiTechexe and watch the value for RA, it won't change the RA value shown at the bottom of the SiTech window nor in the SkyView display.  The only way to check if the rate has actually changed is to track a star in the sky.

However there is another way to modify the tracking rate (separate from ServoConfig), in SiTechexe you can use Offset Tracking Rates in the Features Tab.  This will definitely change your tracking rates, but it can not be saved for another session.

Don W

Gary Hug

Thanks for the information Don.

I'll work on that a bit more when skies clear.

cheers
Gary

On 4/27/2021 8:28 AM, Don W wrote:
Hi Gary,
In ServoConfig when changing the Equatorial Rate, you then must both "Send Configuration to Controller" and "Save Controller Configuration to Flash ROM".
When you run SiTechexe and watch the value for RA, it won't change the RA value shown at the bottom of the SiTech window nor in the SkyView display.  The only way to check if the rate has actually changed is to track a star in the sky.
However there is another way to modify the tracking rate (separate from ServoConfig), in SiTechexe you can use Offset Tracking Rates in the Features Tab.  This will definitely change your tracking rates, but it can not be saved for another session.

Hi Gary and Don,
The equatorial rate is designed only for stand alone operation, no computer..
When you have a rate here, and checkbox the Equatorial, the Servo Controller starts up tracking at the rate you specify.
If you run SiTechExe, the equatorial rate has absolutely zero effect on the tracking, as soon as SiTechExe sends a motion command, the equatorial rate is stopped.
The rate now comes from motion commands from SiTechExe.
Dan

On 4/27/2021 8:28 AM, Don W wrote:
> Hi Gary,
> In ServoConfig when changing the Equatorial Rate, you then must both "Send
> Configuration to Controller" and "Save Controller Configuration to Flash ROM".
>
> When you run SiTechexe and watch the value for RA, it won't change the RA value
> shown at the bottom of the SiTech window nor in the SkyView display.  The only
> way to check if the rate has actually changed is to track a star in the sky.
>
> However there is another way to modify the tracking rate (separate from
> ServoConfig), in SiTechexe you can use Offset Tracking Rates in the Features
> Tab.  This will definitely change your tracking rates, but it can not be saved
> for another session.
>
> Don W

Gary Hug

Thanks for the clarification Dan. I imagine the tracking rate is determined almost totally by the ticks/revolution numbers in SiTechExe. And I'm also guessing the tracking rate would be adjusted to some degree by changing the servo clock numbers? Is that a way to fine tune the tracking rate?
I've never used offset tracking but I'm going to try the offset tracking mode on a few NEO's in the near future. SiTech's been a great system for my 22" 'tank' for more than a decade.

cheers
Gary