Topics

Runway Dec Motor

moofrost@...

Edited

Howdy all.

 I have been using the Sitech Sidereal controller for a couple of years now with VERY few issues. I love it on my Losmandy G11.

 Today when I got everything running I have a runaway Dec motor. Just wondering if from this video you guys can see anything being off...

 Also, I installed the "new" sitech and it wont run on windows 10, any ideas?

 Here is the video of the runaway dec.

 https://youtu.be/0qHh5FYiw8U

 Disregard the 3.7, I upgraded to 3.9 its a physical issue, not a software issue for sure.

 Goes to blinky

 I was using it last night without issues, covered the mount and just uncovered it now, nothing was moved or changed.

 I will say, the conectors are getting long in the tooth.

 It is the old style (round) connectors and I believe in the store all that is available are the new style plugs.

moofrost@...

Update. It's the cables. But i can't tell in the store which cable is which.

 I swapped the Dec cable with the Ra cable and voila Dec was working fine again. Anyone know what the name of the connectors are? Or if they sell these cables premade?

Don W

Hi,
The runaway servo is most likely the loss of signal from the encoder.  The cables you show  in picture 1 (the two coaxial power cables and the modular encoder cables go to SiTech.  The other cables are not SiTech.  So they are not cables you can buy.  You have to fix them yourself.  Most likely one of the two encoder signal wires are not making contact or are broken.
Don W

moofrost@...

Ty Don. I'm told they are male Din cables. I'll try to go that route, but if not then it may be time to buy 2 motor kits from you. I never did like these connectors, way too easy to come undone. First I'm trying contact cleaner. I'll revert once I have a solution in case it benefits anyone else in our group.

moofrost@...

Took it apart, went to home depot and bought a soldering iron, followed the color pin out from the RA. Back to working perfect!

 Thanks all.

Mike Colyar

My personal experience from over fifty years of industrial practice is that Amphenol twist lock connectors are the gold standard of mechanical integrity and reliability. However . . .
They are bulky and a fuss to solder the pins and sometimes awkward to assemble. And not that cheap.

The connectors that SiTech uses will work indefinitely with no problems if you don’t yank on them and if you use some sort of moisture displacing fluid on them. They were in use for eons on home telephones where the environmental conditions are worse than on a Mars lander. No gnawing puppies in space since Laika in the late fifties.

Any time there is dew on your mount or scope, there is dew on the electrical connections. Spray some miracle gunk of some sort on them.

Mike