message to all members regarding wiki idea

paul K

I have been a member of the forum since around 2015 and during that time I have seen some real gems (sorry!) in posts, which subsequently disappear into the depths of the forum, which by the very nature of forums (fora?) is relatively unstructured.

So I am floating the idea (and it's just that at present) of a wiki which would capture all the gems and present the information in a structured way.

The most recent exchanges between Martin and Don provide a nice example - it could be a wiki article "How to configure flipless mounts" There are many other exmples too.

As we all probably know, wikis are built by the community for the community and therefore are great for sharing experiences. They are dynamic documentation contexts and very much depend on the community they serve being active contributors.

If the idea gets support, I'll offer to install MediaWiki on my host (it's there as a one click install) at no cost to the community. There may be better hosting options and these should be considered too.

If authenticated access to the wiki can be automated, the admin overhead related to that will be small.

So I'll throw this open to folks - what do you think?

Paul

MartinC

Hi Paul,

I think that's a very interesting suggestion. We have something similar (different format) where I work for technical support issues. I reckon it would need to feature some form of configurable search facility but to answer your question I think your idea has merit.

Best regards
Martin

Sent from my Galaxy

James Roe

I say great idea, go for it!

Jim Roe

Dan H

I think that's a great idea. Finding info on a specific problem in a users group is an exercise in frustration.

--

For an astronomer the sky isn't the limit, it's just the beginning.

lunaticoastro

Me too I like the idea!

Thanks Paul

Jaime

On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 2:20 PM MartinC via groups.io <mncrane=virginmedia.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Paul,

I think that's a very interesting suggestion. We have something similar (different format) where I work for technical support issues. I reckon it would need to feature some form of configurable search facility but to answer your question I think your idea has merit.

Best regards
Martin

Sent from my Galaxy

paul K

Just as an update on this, I have the MediaWiki software installed now. I will take a look over the next few days and see what I can find out. I found a basic / beginners tutroial on youtube.

If anyone knows a good mediawiki tutorial which covers creating the user group, setting permissions etc that would be helpful.

best wishes
Paul