Generic camera control option

jmgoldba

Is it possible to provide a generic camera control template so that a user can roll their own script that'll enable SiTech to talk to whatever camera control software they may be using? There are many astronomical camera control applications available nowadays and it would be nice if SiTech wasn't limited to a few legacy applications. Nebulosity v2? Anyone? Anyone? -Jesse

Dan Gray

I've been working on something for a couple years, progress is slow.
If you have ideas, it would be helpful.
Sounds like ascom camera would be a good way, and I've already had ascom camera work in other applications, so that is on my list.
What would be your recommendation to an "up to date" camera control software?
Prism has refused to give me their new TCP protocol for their camera control, they think we're a competitor.

Dan

On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 1:37 PM jmgoldba via groups.io <jmgoldba=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Is it possible to provide a generic camera control template so that a user can roll their own script that'll enable SiTech to talk to whatever camera control software they may be using? There are many astronomical camera control applications available nowadays and it would be nice if SiTech wasn't limited to a few legacy applications. Nebulosity v2? Anyone? Anyone? -Jesse

jmgoldba

If you have ideas.
My thinking was that you would add a provision for calling user written scripts with defined inputs and outputs. So it only works with camera control software that supports user scripting. Is there some way you can generalize what you're doing supporting the existing programs? The issue with ASCOM only camera software is that there's no 'last mile' provision, as it were, of writing FITS files to disk, though it just dawned on me that maybe SiTech doesn't need that provision for its purposes of plate solving, focusing and guiding. If SiTech needs FITS files another possibility is to add that functionality as yet another 'extension' to your existing ASCOM driver.

they think we're a competitor.

There is no need for autofocus, guiding, plate solving.
The second quote is from the Prism website. Those features look familiar?

recommendation for an "up to date" camera control software.
Honestly I don't have one. We've been using MaxIm all this time and its been okay. (It gave us issue the other night and it seemed the only solution was to literally power everything down and back up.) We're open to alternatives and in this day and age there are several with a cost an order of magnitude less than MaxIm maintenance. I'm looking into APT for a basic backyard DSLR setup and the developer was helpful when I posted camera questions on his forum. My thinking was that if an alternative looks feasible on one of our smaller setups then we'd like the option to migrate to it on our main scope or use it if we acquire another SiTech based scope.

Jesse

Ross Salinger

I thought that sitech now supported sequence generator pro which is cheap and comprehensive when it comes to camera control?

FWIW the problem this weekend is that a camera was disconnected physically without connecting MDL first. When MDL tries to access it, the USB drivers in the OS kernel go into a wait state and MDL hangs. Usually you can just kill the process. In this case I suggested to Sina that he reboot the computer completely. That was just to be on the safe side.

paul K

Just to chip in about sequence generator pro (SGP). I have used it and the Sitech II controller with a MESU 200 mount and the SBIG STT8300 mono camera with filter wheel for 5 years or so. I Image galaxies mainly. SGP is provided by Mainsequence software and it is very comprehensive in terms of drawing together all the components required for astro imaging (camera, mount, focuser, platesolve, autoguider, dome control , camera rotator etc. I find it very straightforward to use, and the support forum is well supported by Ken and Jared (the originators and developers) and other knowledgeable folks. I think there is a no cost version which is good to try, but I bought the 'pro' version, just to support the development effort rather than needing the functions really. SGP is interactive too, you can see images integrating and view when they download. It has a nice notification system to keep you posted on progress on your mobile via text/ email and a framing and mosaic wizard to help selecting and framing targets.
I find that with the support here from Dan and Don and others, and that which I get from the SGP folks, it serves me really well for my galaxy imaging exploits. The only other software I've used for camera control years ago was Nebulosity, but it's features are not nearly as sophisticated as SGP - the two are different beasts really, and I like Nebulosity for processing. I know that MAXIM is good too, but I have never tried it.
I hope this helps.
Paul