Connecting The Sky 6 with Servo Controller II

Rusty Fletcher

Before using the Servo Controller 1... I decided to upgrade to the Servo Controller II. Dan was so gracious to let me upgrade. So I am still trying to figure all this out. The physical upgrade to my telescope (installing the servo motors) is not yet complete so I am playing with the Controller II connected to the servo motors (lying on my desk). I connected to my computer through the Controller II USB port. How do I connect The Sky 6 Planetarium Software to the Controller II? I have used it for years with Mel Bartels "Scope" software (DOS based program running on a separate laptop  that connects through a 9 pin serial port) and it works fine... but how do I connect it to SiTech.EXE? I am using the ASCOM SiTech.EXE driver running on a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit laptop. Thank you for any help or advice!

Rusty

Don W

Hi Rusty,
TheSky6 required special programs to interface with ASCOM mounts.  Go to the ASCOM page and look for "telescopes and the ASCOM 2X Mount Adapter.  Bisque has a program to connect to TheSky6.  But they don't make it readily available - you have to contact Bisque to get access to it.
https://ascom-standards.org/Downloads/ScopeDrivers.htm

Hi Rusty,

Actually, I am making some suggestions for you based on my 13 years using SiTech and TheSky6.

Don’t connect TheSky6 to SiTech.  You don’t need to, and the capability to use it isn’t very useful.

Basically, TheSky is useful separate from SiTech as a planning tool.  TheSky6 shows the sizes of most objects and the local star fields so it is very useful to determine how the objects relate to your field of view.  TheSky6 also shows you when the objects are transiting your site and when they are available in the local sky.  You can do this in the daytime and print out a page with the star fields for reference.

A far more useful tool for moving the mount around the sky is the built-in SkyView in SiTech.  Using the PC clock and your location, SkyView shows your local sky horizon to horizon and is well integrated with SiTech controls to move around the sky to almost any object also available in TheSky6.  All solar system objects are there plus SkyView automatically sets the tracking rates for these objects – especially the Moon and planets out to Jupiter (plus all the asteroids and comets).

SkyView doesn’t show the size of DSO’s compared to TheSky.  So I print out TheSky6 view with the FOV indicator during the day, then at night use SkyView to go to the object and center the target referenced to the star field.  SkyView lets you zoom in and you can set the magnitude limits of the stars to match your TheSky print.  You can set up your FOV indicator in SkyView to match you camera or eyepiece.

Try SkyView (you can set SiTech to automatically show and use SkyView eac startup).  Plus you can use SkyView now to initialize the mount (for your table-top servos now).  I don’t know what kind of mount you plan to have, but using SkyView will go a long way to teach you how to setup SiTech and its limits and controls.

BTW, welcome to the SiTech world on this forum.  You can expect any questions you have to be answered by very experienced SiTech users across the world.

Don W

pburke@...

Edited

Rusty,
I have been using TheSky6 with my ServoII controller for years without a problem. There are a few things I've found that need to be in place before it will work.
Make sure you have installed the current ASCOM platform and the the Sitec ascom driver.

First- You need to make sure you are running TheSky6 ver. 6.0.0.58 or later. TheSky6 isn't supported by Bisque any more, so I don't know where you could get the uipdate if you need it. (PM me if you need it I might be able to send it)

Second- Go to the Ascom Download/Plugins, and download  "TheSky™ ASCOM Telescope (TeleAPI) Plug-In for TheSky 5/6 (5.0.4)" and install it.
https://ascom-standards.org/Downloads/Plugins.htm

There is a guide within the download that will tell you how to use it. Basically once the plugin is installed, in TheSky6 go to the Telescope Setup, scroll down and select "Telescope API"
Click the settings under "telescope API" it will bring up the ASCOM Telescope Chooser. There you can select the "Si TechDll Telescope". Check that the properties are correct (COM port ect) and click OK.
Once that is done you can close the Telescope Setup and connect.
That's what works for me, hope it helps,
Paul

Rusty Fletcher

Edited

On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 10:26 AM, <pburke@...> wrote:
ASCOM Telescope (TeleAPI) Plug-In for TheSky
Hello Paul!

I downloaded and installed the ASCOM Telescope (TeleAPI) Plug-In for TheSky 5/6 and was able to connect to SiTech.EXE! Using the ASCOM platform everything works great. Thank you for your help!

Rusty

Rusty Fletcher

Edited

Hello Don,

The more I study the SiTech software and SkyView it appears you are probably making a good prediction. I can see myself using SkyView a lot. I was able to connect to SiTech.EXE after installing the ASCOM Telescope (TeleAPI) Plug-In for TheSky 5/6 (5.0.4) recommended by Paul. The deeper I get into this I'm sure I'll have lots more questions. I greatly appreciate your help and advice. Thank you!

Rusty