Confusing controller behaviour #mesu

ZS1RA

Hi. I have a very confusing situation and I’m not sure how to reproduce it or what causes it so to me it appears as if it’s random.

Occasionally, when I’m slewing in either Dec or RA with the controller. The telescope would would slew in the expected direction then whilst I’m holding the button on the controller it would stop and slew in the opposite direction.

Other than being puzzling I can’t see any other issues as the scope is behaving as I expected it to when I restart  I really can’t figure out what I’m doing. Does anyone have an explanation or the same experience?

 Thanks Shaun

Don W

Hi Shaun,

That doesn't happen with RA, but it is very typical in DEC.  When you use the hand pad to slew in DEC, you command it to go either toward or away from the pole (either North or South).  When you slew toward the pole thte mount moves toward the pole.  However when you get to the pole, the mount moves past the pole a little bit.  Now you are telling the mount to still move toward the pole, so the mount has to reverse direction to "go to the pole".  that is what you are experiencing.  It is completely normal.  It only happens at the pole.

Don W

ZS1RA

Thanks so much Don