#question What determines azimuth in SiTechExe? #question

Mark Copper

In my version of SiTechExe (v3.9) "azimuth" is given both in the numbers tab and in the controller information window. However, it doesn't seem to be user configurable, either directly or by syncing to a star whose azimuth is known to the program.

Well, I could physically rotate the base of my alt/az scope. Should I?

Thanks.

Dan Gray

Hi Mark,
v3.9 is a servoI firmware version I think.  I think you are using a fairly recent version because of one of your prior posts.
In the numbers tab, the alt and az are the actual altitude and azimuth of your telescope non-dependent on the mount type.  SInce you're using an alt/az, it should be pretty close, but based on your pointing model, etc.
in the COntroller Stuff, it's "R/A OR Azimuth", or "Dec OR Altutude".  I've been changing this nomenclature to Primary axis and Secondary axis.  Again, in your case it should be pretty close.
But it sounds like if the azimuth is reading wrong, you need to go to SkyView, and sync on a known object (after pointing to it). Then it will read properly.

Dan

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 5:02 PM Mark Copper <mlcopper@...> wrote:
In my version of SiTechExe (v3.9) "azimuth" is given both in the numbers tab and in the controller information window. However, it doesn't seem to be user configurable, either directly or by syncing to a star whose azimuth is known to the program.

Well, I could physically rotate the base of my alt/az scope. Should I?

Thanks.

Mark Copper

Edited

That is, indeed, the behavior I expected, but it does not seem to be what I'm observing.

For example, I synced to Segin (epsilon cass) a few minutes ago. At my latitude, azimuth should be about 331 degrees and altitude about 26 degrees. However, under numbers, the az is about 2:30:00 or ~38 degrees; alt is about 8:10:00. Scope az and alt under "controller stuff" is indeed close to the "numbers" numbers.
Yikes! My clocks were out of sync. And having corrected them I got a proper updating of alt and az upon syncing on a star. I got a hint when my planetarium software said a star was up but SiTechExe warned it was below the horizon!