No connection to communication ports....

Darrel Moon

Hi all,

I am moving to Windoze 10....yuuuck, and have installed the Sitech's latest (0.95G) using Bootcamp on my Mac. None of the 20 Com ports can be connected to Sitech using the new version of Windoze, however on the very same computer running Parallels virtual computer software, I have Windoze 7 virtual machine running with the same 0.95G setup and I can access a com port (3) and every thing works as it should.

With the Windoze 10 setup, I have my SBIG camera connected visa via MaxImDL and it is working fine so the USB port is OK. I have connected the Sitech controller to that same working USB port but still the controller won't connect!

Any suggestions as to what might be the problem with the Windoze 10 installation other than it is just another Windoze issue?

Thanks,

Darrel Moon

Don W

Hi Darrel,

Since your controller works with Win7 using Com3, it wants Com3 from Win10.  What controller do you have?  Servo II?  To use Servo II with USB, you have to change the jumper inside the case.  Servo II can use either Com or USB, but not without a jumper change.  Servo I can not use a USB.

Don W

Mark Copper

I had an experience with Servo I. May be related maybe not.

My PC has multiple USB ports. I first configured SiTech controller for comm 3. The following evening I switched the USB ports for SiTech controller and other gadgets then got the bad comm message. According to Windows device controller the serial-to-USB dongle was now registered to comm 5. So I re-launched ServoConfig and set the comm port to 5.

But it didn't work. Even, if I recall correctly, after re-booting all devices.

The solution for me (duh!) was simply to switch back to my original port configuration. But I was left with the uncomfortable feeling that comm 5 really *should* have worked.

CandCShaw

Did you try using Servoconfig instead of Sitechexe to test the comm to the controller? (remember, do not have Sitechexe AND Servoconfig running at the same time)

Chuck

On Jul 11, 2021, at 1:41 PM, Mark Copper <mlcopper@...> wrote:

I had an experience with Servo I. May be related maybe not.

My PC has multiple USB ports. I first configured SiTech controller for comm 3. The following evening I switched the USB ports for SiTech controller and other gadgets then got the bad comm message. According to Windows device controller the serial-to-USB dongle was now registered to comm 5. So I re-launched ServoConfig and set the comm port to 5.

But it didn't work. Even, if I recall correctly, after re-booting all devices.

The solution for me (duh!) was simply to switch back to my original port configuration. But I was left with the uncomfortable feeling that comm 5 really *should* have worked.

Darrel Moon

Hi again to all,

With regard to all the responses about no com port connection, I have only one controller, a Servo II, which works on com port 3 using a USB cable with my Windoze 7 virtual machine…so obviously the jumper does not need to be changed. I did not move the USB cable to any other location when I installed the new Windoze 10 set up; it is still connected to com port 3 per the report from Servoconfig running in the Windoze 7 virtual machine. But, Servoconfig running under Windoze 10 shows no connection to com port 3 or any of the other nineteen com ports available in Servoconfig.. And yes, I started by opening Servoconfig NOT SiTech.exe which I NEVER run at the same time.

It seems unlikely to me the there is a hardware issue with the com ports as com port 3 works perfectly with the Windoze 7 virtual machine on my Mac but does not work on the same machine using a different installation of software. Remember from my original post, my SBIG camera is connected to the same Windoze 10 installation and it is working through the same USB port that it works through using the Windoze 7 virtual machine….all on the same Mac computer. The only issue is with SiTech failing to connect to a com port; all other connects via the USB com ports are working properly.

So the question remains the same, what has Windoze failed to do that keeps me from connecting to any com port? Is there a driver for the SiTech controller that should have been installed with the original set up of Windoze 10 that, with its absence, might cause the problem? Does the installation of SiTech control software change any of the drivers or setting associated with the com ports (the SBIG camera still works?)

I am guessing that I will have to do the standard Windoze exercise of re-installing everything and see what other issues pop up on the new installation…..getting so tired of the Microsoft nightmare.

If any one has a better solution, I would surely like to hear about it before I start all over with a re-install effort! Dan?

Thanks,

Darrel Moon

Don W

Hi Darrel,

Windows 10 acts differently from Win7 concerning USB to Serial adapters.  I suggest you install the latest adapter driver into your Win10.  I presume the adapter you are using is the adapter built into the controller, so reinstall the Sitech adapter driver into Win10.

Don W

Allan Overcast

You might also run the programs as an administrator.  We have seen Windows 10 affecting the security permissions that apply to serial port operation.  So right click on the program, and under compatibility click the box "Run As Administrator".  This option generally fixes Windows 10 serial port permissions issues.

Allan Overcast
Cloudy Skies Observatory

On Monday, July 12, 2021, 12:33:38 PM MDT, Don W <westergren@...> wrote:

Hi Darrel,

Windows 10 acts differently from Win7 concerning USB to Serial adapters.  I suggest you install the latest adapter driver into your Win10.  I presume the adapter you are using is the adapter built into the controller, so reinstall the Sitech adapter driver into Win10.

Don W

CandCShaw

I must admit I am not familiar with Macs ( but luv my iPhone and iPad). Would you have to use a W10 Driver for your virtual machine instead of the Win7 driver, and is it the latest version ? Just trying to help!

Chuck

On Jul 12, 2021, at 12:27 PM, Darrel Moon <me@dmoon.net> wrote:

7 virtual machine…so obviously the jumper does not need to be changed. I did not move the USB cable to any other location when I installed the new Windoze 10 set up; it is still connected to com port 3 per the report from Servoconfig

Darrel Moon

Don W et al,

Thanks for all the replies!

Sorry to be so dense here but what serial adapter are you talking about? The Servo ControllerII has a USB type B data port and the Mac has four usb type A ports….so where does a serial adapter come into play here? Are you calling the USB A/B cable an adapter? If so, where would one find a driver for such a cable and why would one need a driver for a conductor to conductor connection? Or, are you talking about a driver for any USB Hub that may be present (there isn’t)….or are you talking about the driver for the four USB ports in my Mac that may need to have drivers installed in the Windoze 10 installation for the Mac hardware (USB ports)? The four USB ports have all been tested with thumb drives, an iPhone, and my SBIG camera and they are all working and Windoze 10 Device Manager reports that the USB ports are working properly and that I have the latest drivers for those ports installed.…..so I am certain that the Windoze 10 USB ports are not thecae of the problem.

Since the USB hardware drivers working in the Windoze 7 virtual machine can’t be seen in the native Windoze 10 installation using Bootcamp; the Windoze 7 USB drivers are not the problem either.

Bootcamp, if you are not familiar with it, is Apple’s way of allowing the Mac hardware to become PC hardware without any Mac operating system being present. A separate partition is make on the Mac hard drive for a Windoze ISO installation; software from Microsoft is installed on this partition to allow any and all hardware components to use Windoze drivers and are kept entirely separate from anything Apple; two computers, one box. One can only run one operating system, either Mac OSX or Windoze. That is different than creating a virtual Windoze machine which uses virtualization software, a Microsoft Windoze ISO, and the Mac OS where BOTH operating systems can be used at the same time switching back and forth between the two OSs with a simple mouse swipe. I have another Mac in our office that also has two Windoze systems running, one a virtual Windoze 7 machine and the other a Bootcamp Windoze 10 install….and all the US B port are working there……except I don’t have a SiTech Controller in the office so I can’t testify to being able to use the controller, or not, other than in the observatory.

So bottom line, the observatory Windoze 10 computer can’t see any of the com ports and that seems to me to be a problem of the SiTech Controller not talking to the rest of the system. Is there a SiTech driver that is supposed to come alive when SiTech.exe is installed? Can anyone address that question?……Dan?

Thanks,

Darrel Moon

Don W

Hi Darrel
The usb to serial adapter is built-in to the Servo II.  You have a choice of using a USB cable (which goes through the internal serial adapter and uses the Adapter driver provided in SiTech) OR you can connect directly with a serial cable.  In both cases, the control of SiTech is via a Serial Com Port from the PC.  The jumper inside the Servo II tell Sitech which cable to use.

If you are using the USB and it doesn't "see" SiTech comm ports, then get the USB driver ffrom Sidereal Tech and load it into your PC.
Don

Don W

Hi Darrel,

Sidereal Technologies web site has a driver installation program at:
http://www.siderealtechnology.com/
on the Support page - scroll down to the bottom.

Don W

Darrel Moon

Thanks Don,

I downloaded the Servo II USB Driver yesterday and now I have a connection through Com. port 4(?) when I am in the config program only. However, the controller still has no connection when using SiTech.exe alone by itself with the config program closed. I am heading out to the observatory soon and will play around the SiTech.exe to see what I can do to resolve this issue........ I may be back with further questions.

Moon

Darrel Moon

Don W,

I got SiTech.exe to connect to a com port by resetting from com. port 3 to com. port 4 using the Change config. function in SiTech.exe.

Next problem is that all the config settings in SiTech.exe are not the ones I had setup for our observatory earlir. Wasn't Sitech.exe supposed to pick up all my personal settings information from Servo Config 1.3 after I updated the settings in Servo Config. 1.3 from the controller itself? If not, in what file do those settings live? Can I import that file from a currenly correct file in another computer?

Moon

Don W

Hi Darrel,

The settings in SiTechexe  Change Config are completely separate and different from any settings used in ServoConfig.

If you setup before using ServoConfig, did you save those settings as a CAR file?  Those settings are the tic/rev and PIDs settings that control the servo operation.  Go to the old PC and copy the *.car file you had there.

Don W