Superstitious

paul K

I'm not a Superstitious person, but it did occur to me a few posts back when I mentioned about my MESU 200 that 'nothing had ever gone wrong with it, that it might just be tempting fate.

So today I was doing some daytime tests with the dreaded meridian limits to work out a good eastern limt for my situation, and when I parked the mount, the Dec axis started sounding like a shaken bag of nails. I got the Sitech error

encoder tracking error

And the mount stopped moving which I guess is good.

Anyone got any experience of how to take the beast apart to inspect? There's lots of hex head bolts.....There used to be a MESU 200 forum on Yahoo, I'll see if I can find that too.

thanks,

best wishes
Paul

Jaspal Chadha

Mark1 I assume Paul ?

Kind Regards

On 22 Apr 2021, at 19:44, paul K <paulskirk53@...> wrote:

I'm not a Superstitious person, but it did occur to me a few posts back when I mentioned about my MESU 200 that 'nothing had ever gone wrong with it, that it might just be tempting fate.

So today I was doing some daytime tests with the dreaded meridian limits to work out a good eastern limt for my situation, and when I parked the mount, the Dec axis started sounding like a shaken bag of nails. I got the Sitech error

encoder tracking error

And the mount stopped moving which I guess is good.

Anyone got any experience of how to take the beast apart to inspect? There's lots of hex head bolts.....There used to be a MESU 200 forum on Yahoo, I'll see if I can find that too.

thanks,

best wishes

yes it's from 2015 Jaspal
best
Paul

On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 at 19:52, Jaspal Chadha via groups.io <jaspalchadha=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

MartinC

Hi Paul,

Forgive me but just from the outside looking in it sounds like too much of a coincidence that the mount should suddenly develop a problem whilst you were 'working' on it. Generally I don't believe in coincidence. Are you sure you've not accidentally changed a setting related to the motor or encoder?

I guess you have your config files backed up? If so maybe reload them before looking for a mechanical or electrical problem.

Best wishes
Martin

Sent from my Galaxy

Yann-Eric Boyeau

Hi Paul,

It might be the DEC axis encoder that was not tightened enough and got loose.

It is hidden in the counterweight bar housing under the DEC plate.

I already inspected these parts on my Mesu 200M mk1.

We might continue to discuss the issue on the Mesu group or send me a PM as this is not closely related to Sitech Controller.

If the Dec encoder is simply loosened, this is a small issue and easy fix.

Lucas can have a look with you by webcam.

YE

I'm not a Superstitious person, but it did occur to me a few posts back when I mentioned about my MESU 200 that 'nothing had ever gone wrong with it, that it might just be tempting fate.

So today I was doing some daytime tests with the dreaded meridian limits to work out a good eastern limt for my situation, and when I parked the mount, the Dec axis started sounding like a shaken bag of nails. I got the Sitech error

encoder tracking error

And the mount stopped moving which I guess is good.

Anyone got any experience of how to take the beast apart to inspect? There's lots of hex head bolts.....There used to be a MESU 200 forum on Yahoo, I'll see if I can find that too.

thanks,

best wishes
Paul

Yann-Eric Boyeau

By the way,

For those who are interested in Mesu group : https://groups.io/g/Mesu-Mount

YE

I'm not a Superstitious person, but it did occur to me a few posts back when I mentioned about my MESU 200 that 'nothing had ever gone wrong with it, that it might just be tempting fate.

So today I was doing some daytime tests with the dreaded meridian limits to work out a good eastern limt for my situation, and when I parked the mount, the Dec axis started sounding like a shaken bag of nails. I got the Sitech error

encoder tracking error

And the mount stopped moving which I guess is good.

Anyone got any experience of how to take the beast apart to inspect? There's lots of hex head bolts.....There used to be a MESU 200 forum on Yahoo, I'll see if I can find that too.

thanks,

best wishes

Thanks Martin and Yann-Eric, Yes something is 'loose' somewhere causing the 'bag of nails noise'. There's no clutches on this one and when I rotate the dec axis it feels and sounds different in different places. Lucas Mesu has aksed to look by webcam.

Being an I.T. type of person, you might imagine I have several dozen backups of the Sitech config and Servo Config. (well, I might have :) )

Fingers crossed, I'll post back

Paul

dan adi

Any updates?

paul K

Yes, thanks for asking - I think I posted in a separate thread, the mount is back up and rnning now. I haven't put a scope on it yet as it's moving to a new location, but all seems well.

I'll probably polar align in the next few weeks.
best wishes
Paul